Chapter 3 - Passing Each Other By

The next day, as he is on leave, Bai Luo Yin was still lying on his bed. The morning sun shone through the windows into the dormitory.

For him, life is much different without Gu Hai, living with an army battalion in the dormitory is a lot different. Bai Luo Yin is used to the mess of the army dormitory. Sometimes cleaning is a headache. The dormitory could be clean in a few days, but would be in big mess again afterwards. Liu Chong would always command them to clean it again, however big fight would ensue on who would take in charge of the cleaning.

At nine o'clock, Bai Luo Yin was awakened by a burst of rapid knock on the door. Bai Luo Yin put on some clothes, got up and opened the door. It was Liu Chong greeting him.

"Do not go back to sleep, quick and fix up! Are you not receiving our calls?"

Bai Luo Yin went to see the phone on the table. He was not aware that the phone had been in silent mode since last night. There were 20 missed calls all from the duty room and Liu Chong.

"What things got you into panic today?" Bai Luo Yin looked at Liu Chong. He took a cigarette, picked up the newspaper and went into the bathroom.

"Professor Chen came back today. Our group was going to pick up from the airport, but Professor Chen called us that you pick him up."

Professor Chen Dongfang, a 62-year-old chief architect of the China Aviation Industry's Armed Helicopter. He is a special engineer that enjoys special allowances from the Chinese State Council. He is a national model worker, a visiting professor of helicopter engineering and maintenance in Luhang University and a former teacher of Bai Luo Yin. The old man has a very active character and personality.

When the professor was in the field teaching armed helicopter maintenance, he first noticed the young Bai Luo Yin. He gradually liked the young man when he became his professor. Bai Luo Yin seem to be aloof and not very easy to communicate with. There were only few friends around Bai Luo Yin as he spent most of his time basically in the library, dormitory, and training ground.

Professor Chen would always find Bai Luo Yin in the library every time. He would find Bai Luo Yin studying that hard to learn. He decided to teach about his own life to him. He witnessed the hardships of Bai Luo Yin from the beginning. From the first time, Bai Luo Yin had his first single flight to leading an army of troops. However, Bai Luo Yin's hardship was rewarded. He became the youngest graduate of the University of Aeronautics and Astronautics. Bai Lou Yin has become the pride of the school then.

"Please come back here again. I need first take a bath." Bai Luo Yin went out of the bathroom. He was shaving his beard and does not seem to panic.

"Commander, it's Professor Chen! I too teaches at a university, but I have my utmost respect for the old man." Liu Chong looked at the Bai Luo Yin and noted his sleepiness.

"OK. What time is it?

"10:30."

"What time is it now?"

Liu Chong looked at the table, "It's 9:55."

"No way!" Bai Luo Yin cursed a sentence, and quickly changed his clothes.

Liu Chong looked Bai Luo Yin, "We need to hurry, right?"

Bai Luo Yin looked at him, "Yes, the old man is nagging."

Bai Luo quickly wore his shoes, grabbed a tie, put the hat ready to go out.

"Commander, you haven't even wash you face!" Liu Chong quickly urged.

Bai Lou Yin quickly went into the bathroom and washed his face.

With water droplets still dripping on his face, he left the room with Liu Chong.