Chapter 4: Synchronized swimming, 69 and solar flares.

• Dedicated to Aunty Lee

"Then why did you back me up?"

"Because I know your secret, Ryder."

Whaaaaaa?

I looked at Oliver, wide-eyed and open-mouthed.

"How did you figure it out?" I whispered.

"Easy. Times matched, locations matched," he replied smugly.

"And all this time, I thought I was doing a good job of hiding it," I confessed.

"Its okay. The boys won't mind when you tell them," Oliver said.

"What makes you think I'm going to tell them?" I asked in horror.

"Aw, come on! Trying out for synchronized swimming isn't THAT bad!" he informed me.

Double whaaaaaaa?

"Synchronized swimming?" I asked.

"Yeah, the tryouts are the same time as the street fair," he explained.

"Of course. And that's why I can't go to the street fair, because I have tryouts."

"Nothing to be ashamed of," Oliver put a hand on my shoulder.

•••

That night, I collapsed onto my bed, tired and yawning. When suddenly, out of the blue, Sam attacked me. Well, he more ran into our room, full bore and leapt on top of me.

Naturally, I screamed.

"Why didn't you tell me!?" he yelled.

"Tell you what!?"

"That you were trying out for synchronized swimming!"

"Um, you never asked," I replied, sitting up, which caused Sam to fall on the floor.

"We wouldn't have cared!" he said from his position on the floor. "We would've come and cheered you on, if it weren't for the street fair."

I stood up and held out my hand. Sam pulled himself up.

"I'm glad you'd be there for me," I smiled.

After the divorce, Mum's death, and Stephen leaving, its hard to be strong when there's no one to catch you when you fall.

I hugged Sam tight, to which he started singing Bromance by NigaHiga. Then I remembered I was a boy and pulled away from him. I laughed and sang with him.

"I love you in the most heterosexual way!" we yelled in unison.

•••

You know that moment when it's the middle of the night and you're comfortable and warm, lying in bed? And then you have the sudden urge to pee? And that causes a mental debate as to whether you force yourself to go back to sleep or battle the cold and pee?

Well, that's exactly how I was feeling. I imagined I looked like a derpina meme face. You know, the one where she's raging and is like FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU. Yep, that one. She was me.

I gotta pee! I gotta pee!

No, I don't. I'll just go back to sleep.

I CAN'T!

I'll just close my eyes.

I'm trying! I need to pee!

But it's cold out there. Ill stay in the warm bed.

I. Have. To. Peeeeeeee.

I MUST SUPPRESS THE URGE!

Before I knew it, I was making my way across the freezing cold room - walking similarly to a ninety year old - to the bathroom. The light had been left on unbeknownst to me, so when I flung open the door, I went blind from the contrast of light.

"SOLAR FLARE!" I yelled as I fell backwards - not that i could see - into the bathroom, rubbing my eyes furiously.

I heard footsteps, which I assumed were Sam's. My suspicions were proved correct when he tripped over my vulnerable body that was lying in a state of shock on the ground.

"Ryder! What happened!?" he yelled.

"Nothing," I mumbled as I regained my vision.

"Did you fall?" Sam asked.

"No, I attacked the ground," I replied meekly.

"Backwards?"

"I'm freaking talented!"

Sam raised an eyebrow.

"Okay, okay. I fell. But it wasn't my fault! Someone left the light on and I was blinded!" I argued.

"You left the light on."

"Oh. Right..." I said, remembering that it was, in fact, me that left it on. "Whoops!"

"Sometimes I wonder how you got in this school."

"Me too, Sam. Me too."

•••

Due to the toilet debacle, I slept in. So it was just after lunch when I decided to go to class. On my way, I saw Sam standing out the front of his classroom.

"Got sent out?" I asked.

"Yep," he nodded.

"What for?"

"Apparently, the answer to 'what comes after 69?' isn't mouthwash," Sam shrugged.

"Who knew!?" I laughed.

"Exactly!" he nodded. "Oh, I have to talk to you after school. Meet me in the courtyard."

"Yes soldier," I saluted sarcastically.

After school, I walked to the courtyard. I was sent out last period because the teacher caught me using the guy next to me's crutches as a sword and fighting the cripple himself while yelling, 'This. Is. SPARTAAAAAA!' so I just left. Therefore, I had gotten changed out of my uniform. I spotted Sam and walked over.

"Oh good. You're here!" he said.

"No, I'm out hunting elephants," I replied sarcastically.

"Ignoring that," Sam said. "I have good news for me, bad news for you."

"Well?"

"The pool filter malfunctioned so synchronized swimming tryouts have been postponed. But on the bright side, you are now free to come to the street fair with us."

"Oh good," I lied.

"Come on. Let's go then!" Sam said, pulling my arm in the direction of the train station.

"It's this afternoon?" I asked.

"Uh, yeah. How could you forget?"

"I have no fucking idea," I said as I mentally face-palmed.

"Hurry up! The others are meeting us there!"

Sam tugged my arm again. I began walking and slipped my phone out.

New message.

To: Josie

Can you bring some stuff to the street fair? I need girl clothes, clip-on hair extensions and heels (if I own any).

Look for me. I'll be dressed as Ryder.

Don't tell Matt. I promised I'd come as Dana.

Thankyou <3

--------------

Authors Note:

»This chapter is dedicated to my great aunt, Lee Ostini who passed away on April 10th 2012. Rest in Peace, Aunty Lee.

»Bromance by NigaHiga at the side ----->

»That's all the energy I have so yeah. Crappy authors note indeed.

X

Katie.