twelve

Rory

I knew Angel wasn't going to deliver good news from the moment I saw him. He couldn't meet my eye. It was our lunch period, and I could hear the sounds of students loitering around the halls. We all knew that no one ever went in the library anyways, so it was like a hideout of sorts. The five of us, Cordelia not included, had been waiting for the past ten minutes. We were sitting at the wooden table in the center of the room and trying not to look too worried.

"I couldn't. I just...he genuinely has feelings for you, Rory." Angel said as he sat down across from me.

"No. I won't accept that." Giles bristled from the head of the table.

"I think you should talk to him. Feel it out." Angel continued.

"Hell no! Angel, he tried to make her a vampire once. What's to stop him now? Just because he has a thing for her doesn't mean he won't hurt her." Buffy said, standing up and slamming her hand on the table for effect.

"We could get him to talk to her in a controlled environment. Maybe let her have bodyguards. The point is, he's not going to stop anytime soon, so we might as well play into the fatal attraction."

"Don't talk about me like I'm not even in the room!" I announced, Buffy and Angel turned to look at me. The shock rung clear on their faces.

"What do you propose we do, Rory?" Giles asked calmly.

"I guess Angel has a point. I'll talk to him." I tried not to think about his piercing eyes or his teeth on my throat.

"What's to stop him from ambushing us like last time?" Xander asked, his arms crossing. I could see his pride was hurt from being knocked out when he was supposed to be protecting me.

"We set the rules this time. Angel, you get the message to Spike. We're meeting in the cemetery. Tell him to come alone." Angel was gone without a goodbye. The others began discussing my protection but all I could feel were Spike's lips on mine.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I was carrying my weight in wooden stakes, crosses, and anything else that Buffy could possibly think to keep Spike a fair distance away. I was nervous, to say the least. Everyone was nervous, Uncle Giles probably the most. I tried not to think about the guilt he would feel if something happened to me.

"Do you want to go over the plan again?" Buffy asked for the fourth time in a hushed tone. I tried not to roll my eyes. She was standing next to me, her hip leaning on a nearby gravestone. I could see Willow and Xander waiting in trees a little ways away. Uncle Giles was at the gate of the cemetery, and Angel stood brooding on a larger gravestone a couple feet to my left.

"I think I got it, Buff." I said, rubbing my sweaty palms against my jeans.

"He's here." Giles announced, brandishing a very large and threatening stake. Everyone went tense.

I could hear him before I saw him. He was whistling. I didn't recognize the tune, it almost sounded like Für Elise. I saw his bleach blond hair next as he casually strolled to the entrance. Everything about him was relaxed. He had his hands in the pockets of his large leather trench coat and a smile on his face.

"Hello, love." He said loudly, looking right at me and completely ignoring my uncle.

"I-Hi." I stared at the ground, unsure of what to say.

"This is quite the set-up you got here. The Slayer, her Watcher, her friends, and Angelus. I'll be sure to watch my step." He winked at that and walked closer to me.

"I don't think we've been properly introduced. My name is Spike." He held out a broad hand, and I reluctantly gave it a quick shake.

"I'm Rory."

"Rory." He sounded out each letter individually, tasting the sound of my name on his tongue. His tongue that's been inside my mouth and on my neck. I could feel cold sweat on my back.

"It's very nice to meet you, Spike. Can I ask what you're doing here in Sunnydale?" I whispered.

"If it weren't for you, Rory, I wouldn't be here at all. Originally, I came for a different girl. Her name was- is- Drusilla. But she decided to leave me once I found you." He was close enough that I could see his teeth, shining in the moonlight, and his deep blue eyes.

"Do you still want to make me a vampire?" My voice was barely loud enough to be heard.

"I can manage you being human." Spike smiled, truly smiled. A genuine, almost human smile that made my heart skip a beat.

"That's beautiful and all, Spike, but you're going to have to prove it." I had forgotten that Buffy stood beside me. My cheeks involuntarily flushed pink, and Spike didn't take his eyes off of me.

"And I will. Whatever you want me to do, Slayer, I will." His eyes were hypnotizing. I tried to move, but he had pinned me to the spot.

"Then you're going to help me slay vampires." His eyes finally looked to Buffy's, pure shock on his face.