Chapter 2 - Missing Pieces

Start from the beginning

"I don't mean to be rude, but what are you doing?"

"Checking on you of course." Dr. Stanley replied.

"Checking for what?" I feel really confused.

"Checking you to make sure that you have healed correctly. You hit your head very hard on the floor when you fainted."

"When was that?"

"Five days ago."

My eyes widen as I stare intently at the doctor standing before me at the foot of the bed now.

"I didn't wake up!"

She shook her head, "No Jay-"

"Don't call me that!" I spat, saying it with more force than intended. Dr. Stanley shudders, but doesn't push any further questions on me.

"What shall I call you then?" She was calm, very calm.

"Scarlett, call me Scarlett."

"Okay, that's a very beautiful name, is it special to you?"

A look of 'are you serious' passed my face, but I quickly tried to mask it when I remembered that she doesn't know my real name, only my fake one. But now I am no longer unnamed, I am renamed and I will - from no on - be known as The Scarlett Davis not The Jay Newman.

"Yeah actually. It's my real name."

Stanley's expression just turned from mellow to confused in less than .002 seconds. "Your real name?"

"It's a long story..."

***

"Dr. Stanley,"

"Yes, Scarlett?"

"How- I mean why was I out for so long?"

"You were in a coma."

I stare blankly at her, not really familiar with the concept completely. I mean, I know it's when someone is out and doesn't wake up...but that's it.

Obviously noticing my obliviousness she answers my question, "A coma is a state of deep unconsciousness that lasts for a prolonged or indefinite period of time. It usually is caused by severe illness or injury, in your case, banging your head on the tile floor too hard, leaving you deeply unconscious for a period of five days," she explains.

"Oh..."

"Yup! But you were very lucky that you were only in it for five days, some other patients I've dealt with have been in a coma for months on end and still haven't woken up yet, some we've even had to pull the plug on."

Pull the plug on them: kill them.

My heart leaps and the heart monitor made a piercing beeping noise from the immediate jump.

"Oh," I breathe, "very lucky."

"Yeah, well you seem to be in perfect shape, healthy and balanced, but with the acceptation of not eating for seven days. You will be receiving your first meal shortly, around afternoon time."

"Okay," I glanced around the room, searching for a clock, only to be left with nothing. Dr. Stanley was about to walk out of the room, her hand on the large door handle before I stopped her abruptly, "Dr. Stanley, what time is it?"

"Let me see," she lifted up her sleeve and rolled her wrist where a beautiful sterling silver watch was clipped securely around her wrist. "It's six thirty AM."