Misunderstandings (Contemporary)

Sev was watching Sasha with a rising sense of frustration and disgust as she tripped over her words and blushed profusely in front of their boss. She never acted like this in front of anyone except him.

She was the most confident, calm and straightforward person Sev knew and yet she couldn't keep it together in front of the boss for even 5 minutes.

It pissed him off that this guy had such an effect on her. It made him hate this part of her. On days like this he turned cold as ice towards her - their mutual ease and comfort in each other's presence entirely forgotten. Just looking at her hesitant and blushing face pissed him off.

                                                            ******

Come the end of the work week Sev was having drinks with one of his other co-workers, Clyde, after the two had completed a successful business deal. Normally, Sasha would be there too to celebrate this win because the three worked closely together most of the time. However, Sev had been such an ass to her since the meeting with the boss a few days ago that she'd declined the invitation saying she was too busy.

So, here he was sitting in the pub with Clyde and not the least bit interested in being there.

Clyde was laughing and talking and generally quite happy about the little haiku they pulled off earlier in the work week. It had taken them weeks of preparation and countless hours of back-scratching to win the deal from one of their top competitors. It was a win worth celebrating.

Yet, Sev couldn't get past his unsettled feelings about Sasha and the boss. So, he was celebrating with Clyde in body but not in spirit.

It took Clyde a little while to figure out that Sev wasn't exactly participating in the conversation let alone contributing to the celebratory atmosphere. When he stopped talking long enough to really look at his friend, Clyde realized belatedly that Sev was just moodily downing drinks.

Clyde had worked with the guy long enough now to know what this was all about and he couldn't help but laugh in his friend's face - the way only a good friend can. "You got it bad man!" He exclaimed after he'd stopped laughing.

"Got what?" Sev asked defensively.

Clyde leaned in across the table and in a gentle voice but still with a smirk on his face said, "You got it bad for Sasha."

He waited for Sev to react. Sev just glared at him. Clyde could see his temper rising. Sev wanted to punch that smug look off his friend's face. But, Clyde didn't let that stop him. He'd had a few drinks and was feeling pretty indestructible.

"You didn't expect her to come tonight after you've been a dick to her all week did you?" Clyde asked as he sat back on his chair. "Look, everyone knows but her that you like her. So, why punish her because she hasn't figured it out?"