~Seeing Her~

I walked through the Maternity Ward until I saw the room that said 'Nursery'. The receptionist desk had a nurse there, so I went up to her. She smiled at me. "Hello sir! How may I help you?". I was so nervous, my hands were shaking uncontrollably. "Uh, yes.. Here's my situation. My girlfriend just passed a few hours ago, and our baby is in here. I don't know what last name she's under right now but I just filled out some papers to receive her.".

"Okay! Can I have your name, please?" I gave her my name and she typed a few things in. "Ah, here we go! The baby is under your last name, but doesn't have a first or middle name. Do you want to see her and figure the name out?" I nodded yes.

The nurse got up and swiped her key card in a reader. We walked passed a few babies until we stopped at a small baby. "This is your daughter!", The nurse said, picking her up. "Do you want to hold her?". She was placed into my arms, and immediately tears started to flow down my cheeks.

"She's perfect!" The nurse smiled at me. Names came and left my head as I tried to get the perfect name. Damn, this would have been so much easier if Y/N were here. So much easier.

Madison?
Marina?
Lillian?
Jillian?
Allyssa?

"I think I got a name!", I said to the nurse. She grabbed a notepad and pen from her pocket. "Sydney Mackenzie..".

Soon after, I walked out with Sydney to show my parents and Y/N's parents. I found my parents first. "Is this our grandchild?", my mom asked standing up, followed by my dad. I handed Sydney to my mom, and already felt empty without her in my arms.

"Is it a boy or a girl and what's the name?", my mom asked me. "Is a girl and her name is Sydney Mackenzie Nestor-Darling.". My dad looked over my mom's shoulder at my little girl.

"She looks a lot like you, Ethan.." My dad said, looking like he was getting emotional. It warmed my heart to see him getting emotional about seeing my baby. My mom handed Sydney to my dad, and a tear fell from his face. "She's adorable! I can't wait to spoil you!", my dad cooed at her.

"Hey! Give her a break she was just born!". Out of the corner of my eye, I see Y/N's parents. I'm guessing they want to meet their granddaughter. "Hey dad? The other grandparents want to meet her, too!". I grabbed her out of his arms and walked over too them.

"It's a girl?", her mom asked. I nodded as I handed my baby to her. I saw Sydney's eyes beginning to open. "She has blue eyes!". Y/N's mom handed the baby to Y/N's father, who had a big smile.

"Yeah, you better fucking bring her over to our house everyday!" He joked.

"Oh I will!"