Chapter Four

All the hairs on my back stood straight up. Why did Caine have to pay me a visit now? "Chryssy? What's wrong?" Josh asked looking fretful. The door opened and Caine entered, his blood red eyes grew wide as he saw Josh sitting across from me. After screeching out a war cry, Caine ran straight at him with bloodlust in his stride. Thankfully, he ran straight into the trap that Josh had set off earlier, landing him in a steel metal cage.

"Chryssabelle!" Caine said, almost shouting, "What are you doing with that....that...dog! Why is he in your lair? Kill him and let me out of this damn cage!"

I stand up and cover up Josh "I'm sorry, Caine, but I can't do that. This Lycan is my friend," Behind me Josh snickers. I turn my head and glare at him to make him stop. "You can't hurt him, he is moea oa ka molekane oa."

"I'm what now?"

"That can't be! He is a Lycan! Our sworn enemy!" Caine yelled from his metal cage, flashing his teeth and hissing out profanities.

"I can prove it. We both have the same exact markings."

"I have never met any two people in my long life that had the same exact markings. It is impossible! That would mean that the two chosen ones have come..." Caine paused for a moment in realization. He calmed himself and lowered his voice, "and that would mean the light one and dark one have awoken. My child, come here. Let me see you. Show me your markings," He said as calmly as he could.

As I walk up to the cage, Josh grabs my arm. "Are you crazy? He could kill you!" Josh said with a worrying look on his face.

"Dumb dog," Caine said in a demeaning tone, "If I wanted her dead, she would be." I shake my arm out of Josh's grip and walk towards my old tutor. "Ah, rata, come my darling." As I reach his cage he touches my face lightly. "Show me your markings darling." I lift up my shirt to show him the birthmark on my left hip. It was small, no bigger than a nickel, and it was shaped like the crescent moon with three little stars around it. "Now you, mutt. Come here and show me your markings," Caine barked at Josh.

"I don't even know what you are talking about!" shouted Josh. "What the hell are markings?!"

"Josh, calm down," I said calmly. "Your birthmark, he wants to see your birthmark. The one on your shoulder?" Josh looks at me and then at Caine and nods. He gives me another glance and takes off his shirt. I look at the familiar shape of his body, missing what we used to be. I had a flashback to the first night I had seen him like that. I could still smell the lilac coming from the field, still feel the warm summer's breeze on my skin and the way Josh's body pressed up against mine. Could we ever be that way again? Last night, in the hospital, the way he looked at me when I woke up, the way he kissed me, it all said yes. But I can't see our future, I never could. That is why our fight was such a surprise to me, because with everything else, I could see our future. I snap out of it as Josh shows Caine the markings on his shoulder, right where they always were. They were the same markings I had. A small crescent moon with three "stars", no bigger than a nickel. I realized that Caine was talking and I come out of my daze to listen.

"This can't be..." he murmurs under his breath something that not even I could hear. "Let me out of this cage, Rata."

"Chryss, you aren't going to let him out right? He'll kill me and..."

"I cannot harm you, for you are her moea oa molekane oa," Caine said softly.

"What does that even mean?"

"It means soul mate," I replied. "I'm your soul mate."