Reficul x Reader - Falling Stars

A/N: I couldn't decide if I wanted to write normal or genderbent Reficul, so I ended up writing them with neutral pronouns so they can be interpreted as either! Hope you all like~

------------

   Reficul was your best friend, it wasn’t odd of them to invite you out every once in a while. Yet that night, the night of the falling stars, off all nights seemed..peculiar. They were the devil of your world with lots of work, and this was one of their rare chances to relax, so why waste it on you? Nevertheless, you were glad they decided to spend the night with you.

   All of your friends were either doing something alone or were from another world all together, you really would have been alone anyways otherwise. Reficul themselves had told you they hadn’t planned on bring anyone else, therefore, that night it would just be them and you. So maybe, just maybe, a little part of you had butterflies fluttering around inside.

   Okay, you might have had just an itty bitty crush on the devil. You weren’t going to lie to yourself, but it wasn’t a huge deal, it was small and just started recently. Actually, scratch that, that entire thought there was a big lie. The crush had stuck with you for as long as you could remember, and around now it’d started turning into it’s own weird obsession. You were a strange and hopelessly romantic person.

   You wouldn’t let that stupid crush ruin your night, though. It was time to just have fun and watch the beauty of shooting (or ‘falling’ as the people of your world called them) stars, not to pull some elaborate plan to make them like you. It would be the absolutely perfect moment, but..maybe next time. You’d add it to your calendar, maybe.

   At midnight, you arrived at the top of a small grassy hill. They’d explained to you beforehand it was the best time and place to watch the falling stars, and so you decided to meet there. You settled down and played around with your hair for a bit, watching the night sky. It was funny, because sitting there alone, you realized how much more boring it would be without someone with you.

   It wasn’t long before they appeared over the hill, halting at the sight of you. You grinned, and motioned for them to sit down, “Hey, glad you could make it.”

   They nodded and sat down. “I wouldn’t invite you and not show up. I should be the one saying that.”

   You laughed sheepishly. They were right, and it made you feel a bit silly making the comment.

   For a long time after that, the two of you watched the sky above. The show started just moments after you both got comfy sitting in the grass, and it was just as wonderful as the years previous. Hundreds of bright streams of light fell, disappearing into the blue-black sky only seconds after they appeared. You were awestruck, as you always loved the night sky.

   It was a blissfully happy and calm moment, in which you sat for hours, almost entranced in the beauty of it all. It was spectacular.
But you couldn’t help but think of Reficul sitting beside you the entire time.

   Finally, you decided to break the silence, as you longed to just talk to them. You turned to ask them something, but when you did, they were already looking at you. When you turned your head, they quickly looked back up at the sky. Not too strange, but not too normal either. Shrugging it off, you asked them your question anyway. “So, what did you wish for?”

   The question was a bit cliché on your part, but you couldn’t help it. It was fun wishing on stars, and you liked to learn about other people’s wishes, silly or not.

   They seemed hesitant to answer, their gaze trailing off to the ground for a moment. They finally replied after around half a minute of silence.

   “For my love to love me back.”

   You could have sworn in that moment your heart shattered into a million pieces, knowing that your crush had already liked someone else. It was probably Sin, you were certain there was a possibility they fancied them. It was hopeless from the beginning, they were your friend, even. It would have been strange even if they didn’t like someone else.

   But you were happy for them. You were happy they were in love. You never thought someone as self-dependent as them would ever like someone, they already never made any friends. You were sure you were the only one, since they didn’t mention anyone else.

   “…Ah, right,” you stared at the sky, trying to fight your disappointment. “You’re my friend, right? So why don’t you tell me who this little love of yours is. Is it Sin? I bet it’s Sin.” You knew you sounded a bit choked up in your reply, but you couldn’t help it. You loved them too much, and you struggled to let it all go.

   Yet somewhere in you, you wanted to believe. The rest of you was just saying ‘no’.

    They once again were hesitant to answer, but this time it was understandable. You figured they probably wouldn’t even want to say who. They were very mysterious and secretive to everyone, with the exception of you at times.

   You continued to ponder on this for a bit while they had sat in their long pause, but your thoughts were interrupted when a hand held onto yours. Your immediate reflex was to blush, turn to the devil, and ask ‘Reficul, what the heck?’. But before you could get to the ‘what the heck’ part, they interrupted.

   “You.”

   Suddenly all those broken little pieces of your heart had been masterfully glued back together, all in a matter of seconds. That little spark of hope had grown into a glowing light that lit up your heart.

   “I..” you managed to stutter out, “But I..I…”

   You took a moment to pause, your gaze shifted between them and various directions multiple times. All of this happened too quickly. But you had to answer, you had to say it.

   “I…I’ve always loved you too.”

   They seemed…weirdly surprised, but soon relaxed their expression and, surprisingly, they smiled. “Looks like my wish came true.”

   “Mine did too,” you smiled back.

   You couldn’t exactly remember what happened after that, but all you did know is how you felt.

   And you felt wonderful.