Chapter 12: Confrontation

They swam as fast as they could, Adelaide following Gia's lead. It didn't take long before she realized what Gia meant. A giant crevice appeared as they swam deeper into dark water, further into California's swallowed land.

Pheron and his Mer could be seen floating up ahead. Together, Gia and Adelaide formed a wave, knocking the mermen into a still standing building. They cried out in surprise and pain, but spun around to fight back.

"Go! Keep working," Pheron ordered as he turned to face her. Several of his mermen swam off toward the fault line, leaving about a dozen for Adelaide and Gia. The females paired up, bringing up their arms to prepare another wave, but didn't stand a chance.

With a cry of rage, Gia pulled water toward her, but one of Pheron's men redirected it, hitting Gia and slamming her into the remnants of dwelling. Adelaide watched in horror as Gia's body spun toward the ocean floor to her right.

Adelaide was thrown backward into a skyscraper as Pheron turned his back and pulled the ocean toward him, hurling it at her. The water, thin like needles, cut into her. She couldn't see Gia, barely able to move. The water pulled her back and forced her into the wall again, smashing her head against a steel bar.

Lights danced before Adelaide's eyes, and she heard Pheron's buoyant celebration.

"You foolish child. You miserable wretch. You thought you could come down here to my ocean? Does it burn, Adelaide? Does death cling to your bones? I wouldn't know—I've never died. But I've watched a few. It seems so miserable. Poor, pathetic Adelaide. You'll never see your human again."

Adelaide slammed a third time into the building, black dots swimming in her vision. The mention of Seymour sent a pang through her heart.

Seymour, I'm sorry.

She closed her eyes, holding onto the sensation of his kisses, his body against hers, the way his eyes crinkled when he laughed. She wrapped herself in memories of him, in being by his side, and the water didn't hurt as much.

"What's this? How—well try harder!" Pheron's words sounded panicked, but Adelaide didn't care. She would die with the thought of Seymour in her heart, the feel of him on her skin.

The fourth time she hit the building, it was more of a jostling than anything else.

Opening her eyes, Adelaide could see clearly through the water. Pheron and his men were focused on her, Gia crumpled on top of a rusted car below. Fear shone in their eyes as they held their hands up, as though defending themselves from something.

Adelaide pushed away from the building, and Pheron and his men were pushed back. Something tingled in Adelaide's fingers, and she brought her hands up, waving them forward.

Several mermen flooded backward, spinning out of control at her tiniest movement. A laugh bubbled up from inside her as she pushed a few more away.

"How are you doing that?" Pheron screeched, his pull strong enough to keep her push at bay.

"I don't know." Adelaide's moment of doubt pushed her back, and in a panic she almost let Pheron shove her into the building again.

Think of Seymour.

Adelaide concentrated on him, on the humans, on Ro and the family she had on both sides. Love and hope filled her heart as she felt the force of push moved Pheron back a few paces. Confidence filling her, Adelaide glanced up at the dark ocean above her, an idea forming.

"Let's see how you fair in the sunlight."

With a blast of water, Pheron flew upwards, unable to regain his control as the water shot him and Adelaide up into the sky.

They broke the water's surface, the sun still blazing hot in the afternoon sky. Pheron let out a shriek of pain, boils forming on his skin. Adelaide held him there as long as she could, dropping them both back down into the water when her strength left her.

Pheron drifted lower and lower, sinking into the depths. Adelaide followed, pushing him with every ounce of strength she had left. He landed on top of a building, flattened against the crumbling stone.

Angry wounds covered his skin, but he still managed a smile as he glared up at her. "It won't matter. They'll finish my work."

Heart sinking, Adelaide leaned over the building, down toward the fault and saw his mermen descending into the gap. "No!" She jerked her right arm back, but she didn't have enough strength to move them. Behind her, Pheron wheezed out a laugh.

"You can't stop us all. Not when you're all alone."

"She's not alone."

Adelaide turned to see a team of Mer coming from above. Their scales were dazzling white and blue, and the merman in front had Ro's face, but older. The UnKept had come for her. Behind them, saltwater Mer stood proud, ready to fight against Pheron and his men.

"The fault line! Hurry! You have to stop them."

The UnKept tore off after them, using their power to draw the other Mers' attention. Several saltwater Mer dropped down to Gia, gathering her up to give her aid. Adelaide could barely keep her focus, watching them battle for the fault line. The older man with Ro's face gathered her up in his arms.

"There now, child. Rest."

"I'm sorry about Ro," she said. "It's all my fault." The black spots danced again around her vision. Her whole body hurt, and she barely had the strength to speak.

"Shh, that wasn't your doing. Seymour told us everything. He sent us to you." Kep's face twisted, sadness overcoming him. "Don't let us lose both of you today. Stay with us, Adelaide."

The world went dark, and Adelaide embraced the quiet.

(word count 969)