Chapter 8: Pheron's Offer

Adelaide turned to see Pheron stepping out of the waves, his black scales vanishing as he planted pale feet onto the sand. Ro turned as well, his smile fading as he squared off with Pheron.

"I've been looking forward to this," Pheron said with a dip of his head. "Ro, it's been too long."

"Some would argue not long enough," Ro shot back.

Pheron let out a soft chuckle. "I suppose not. We didn't leave on the best terms." His gaze flickered to Adelaide. "You've left your guard dog behind? Finally sick of his human stench?"

"He didn't want to come," Adelaide said, the words a shot of pain through her heart.

"Of course not. He doesn't want to face me." Pheron shook his head. "After all I did for him, he repays me by betraying me."

"Betraying you?" Adelaide narrowed her gaze. "How did he betray you?"

"I asked him to keep you safe. It was his only responsibility. But look at you."

The muscle in Adelaide's jaw twitched. People needed to stop referencing her looks as an argument in their favor. "What about me?"

"Your skin. Your beautiful, porcelain skin. See how he's mangled it?" Pheron closed in, taking her arm in his hands as though it were a delicate flower. "He let it be darkened by the sun. I told him to keep you pure."

Adelaide jerked her arm back. "I barely spent any time in the sun," she snapped. "Besides, I had sixteen years with Mer before Seymour. You honestly expect me to believe my skin was as translucent as yours before?" She gestured to Ro. "I'm half freshwater, half saltwater. I should look like something in between."

Pheron's gaze slid to Ro even as he faced Adelaide. "You've told her where she came from?"

"I was surprised she didn't know," Ro said. "How would you feel to discover your fiancé after six years and realize she has no idea what you are, let alone who she is."

"She was never yours," Pheron hissed, turning to block Adelaide from Ro. "She's only ever been mine."

With a gagging sound, Adelaide moved away from both of them. "You're both fools if you think I'm marrying either one of you." She pointed from Ro to Pheron. "I brought him here so you could talk, so the UnKept could go back to the ocean and the humans could be free. So start making peace."

Tilting his head to one side, Pheron blinked up at her, his icy blue eyes sending a chill down her spine. "Peace? Oh, my sweet Adelaide."

"Adelaide." Ro's words were tinged with fear. "Adelaide, untie me. Right now."

"You said you wanted to talk," Adelaide said to Pheron. "You said you could—"

"It's funny, how words work." Pheron walked toward Ro, not taking his eyes off of the other Mer. "You can use them for anything—to hurt, to heal...to lie."

Ro backed into the water, and it surged forward, knocking Pheron down. "Stay away from me." He turned to Adelaide. "You need to untie me. Right now."

"Ah, ah, ah." Pheron pushed to his feet, raising his hands and jerking them inward. Ocean gushed forth, bringing Ro with it. He cried out, and Pheron grabbed him by the throat, the water holding him aloft, binding his arms. Sharp claws grew from Pheron's nails, biting into Ro's neck.

"Wait! Stop!" Adelaide tried to push between them, heart hammering. "You have to stop. We can have peace. Please!"

"Oh, sweet girl," Pheron said, using his free hand to caress her face. She jerked away. "There will never be peace for us."