Chapter 3: He's totally going to steal your heart.

[AN: Dedicated to WolfGirlDream who might be the only person reading this story as far as I know. Prove me wrong in the comments folks! ;)]

Neither one of them had spoken for the past twenty minutes. Nick started to wish that Jane or Joe were here. Those two never stopped talking. Of course if they were here then he wouldn’t be able to talk to Kelli in private. Now if he could just get himself to actually talk to her. He took a deep breath and forced himself to say something. Anything.

“I’m sorry,” Nick said softly.

“You’re what?” Kelli asked turning to look at him in confusion.

“I’m sorry,” he said taking another deep breath. “I took advantage of you, and then I never called you again. I should have. It’s just—“

“Oh. You’re talking about that,” Kelli said as comprehension dawned. Tasha was right. Nick had no idea who he had slept with. Jane must have called to find out the truth. For Nick. “Can we not talk about that? I’d rather just put it all behind me.”

“We are going to talk about it.”

“No, we’re not.”

“I know my actions don’t show it, but I’m not that type of guy Kelli. I don’t just sleep with girls and then toss them aside.”

“I’m fine, okay? Please stop talking.” He couldn’t do that. He finally had her alone. He finally had the chance to tell Kelli how he really felt. The truth was he had had a crush on her since he met her. When Jane had told him that the girl he had been with was actually Kelli his heart had started beating wildly.

“I was drunk and stupid. I honestly didn’t know who I had spent the night with. I’ve never been so irresponsible. Then when Jane told me it was you I was actually kind of happy.”

“What happened to your eye?” Kelli asked ignoring the fact that he had just spilled out everything inside of his heart. He lifted his fingers to gingerly touch the edge of his now black and blue eye. It still hurt, but he deserved it. And now he was going to make it right.

“I ran into a door,” he lied glancing over at Kelli. She flashed him a smile and began to laugh.

“A door? Really? You’re sure it wasn’t Jane’s fist?” Nick groaned letting her know that she was right. “She’s still as protective of me as she ever has been.”

“Jane tends to worry about me” Kelli said softly. “But she really has to reign in her anger.”