Huh? I wasn't really expecting any gratitude.

"You're...welcome?" Thistlejaw mewed, unsure if Adderstorm was truly grateful for his help. 

Adderstorm's tail flicked and his white-tipped ears perked up in curiosity, "You seem surprised. Of course I'm thankful for you coming to my rescue, Thistlejaw. WindClan cats don't have many trees on our territory, therefore climbing is a skill we aren't advanced at." He shrugged, licking the bits of tree bark out of his fur. 

"B-besides, I will confess I wasn't paying much attention to what I was doing when I was stalking that raven." The brown tabby lowered his head in embarrassment. 

"We all can get distracted." Thistlejaw rested his paw on Adderstorm's front leg. The tabby tom seemed nervous and apologetic, even when it wasn't necessary. Does he live like this all the time? In a constant state of worry? 

That must be tiring....though, I worry about my nightmares and now this prophecy, maybe I have more in common with him than I think I do.

Adderstorm went to shift away from Thistlejaw's paw, but instead his whiskers twitched nervously and he looked around their surroundings carefully. It eventually registered to Thistlejaw that he was looking out for any WindClan or ShadowClan warriors who might catch them talking to one another.

We aren't doing anything wrong, surely just simply talking with each other isn't against the Warrior Code? If not that, how would we be breaking it exactly? 

He sniffed the air and felt his body go rigid with surprise. Right. He was over the WindClan border. That would definitely make things harder to explain to anyone who was patrolling the area. 

"I should get back to hunting and return to camp. It was nice seeing you again, Adderstorm" Thistlejaw purred calmly to the other tom. Adderstorm blinked at the sudden calmness in his voice and he nodded. 

"I'll make sure to speak to you this time at the Gathering, Thistlejaw. And thanks again for saving me." Adderstorm dipped his head and bounded away from the border. He headed towards a pile of rocks, most likely to try to find more prey. Thistlejaw watched for a few more heartbeats before he leaped back into ShadowClan territory. 

His ears perked up when he overheard approaching cats chatting among themselves. The sound of their pawsteps drew closer and a black spotted tom stepped out from the row of blackberry brambles. 

Leopardwhisper! Oh great StarClan, did he see me with Adderstorm?

Newtpaw padded beside his mentor, his golden eyes narrowed when he noticed Thistlejaw standing at the river bank. Crowstrike and Berryfur trotted out as well, joining the other two cats quietly. 

"Thistlejaw, what are you doing all the way out here by yourself?" Leopardwhisper approached him. His brother's different colored eyes bore into him suspiciously. Thistlejaw's fur bristled with unease. 

"I'm a warrior now Leopardwhisper, can't I go hunting alone once in a while without being questioned like a kit?" 

Berryfur was the first to respond to Thistlejaw's comeback. The silver and black tabby tom let out a snort of contempt before he spoke, "Sounds like you're trying to hide something. Not that I would be surprised if you were, you have always acted strange" 

What is this? Why are they thinking I've done something horribly wrong? Even if I did tell them that I spoke to a WindClan warrior, it wasn't about anything important! 

"Well, why are all of you out here? Shouldn't you be in camp or searching for herbs, Berryfur?" He questioned. He needed to remain confident, Leopardwhisper was clever at reading cat's emotions. If he could somehow redirect his thoughts, he could possibly get away with none of them knowing he'd crossed the border.

"Berryfur is out searching for herbs. I thought it would be helpful for Newtpaw to know basic herbs in case he's ever without a medicine cat," Leopardwhisper looked over at the black and white warrior, "And we brought Crowstrike along to help patrol the borders while we search." 

Thistlejaw felt the tenseness in his muscles drift away at Leopardwhisper's explanation. He awkwardly shifted his glance away from everyone, but the four cats still kept their eyes on him. His mind went back to the prophecy, which made his tension appear once again.

Maybe I should be the one suspicious of them. But that's mouse-brained, the medicine cat apprentice wouldn't betray the Clan. He personally swore an oath to StarClan. It still doesn't change the fact that he's an irritating ball of fur though!

"Sorry, you all can carry on. I should go back to camp---" 

"Without any prey? Pft..how typical" Berryfur interrupted him. The silver tabby's green eyes glinted with mockery and he gestured with his tail for Newtpaw to follow him, "Over here Newtpaw, I think I spot cobwebs" 

Why do you have to be such a pain in the tail? I haven't done anything to you! You're just judging me without any good reason!

Leopardwhisper stared at Thistlejaw as if he was still trying to figure out if he was lying or not. Then he suddenly walked past him to catch up with his apprentice and Berryfur. Crowstrike, being as silent as he had come, followed behind Leopardwhisper without a second thought.

I need to stop being so paranoid. I'll be as jumpy as Adderstorm by the time this is all over!

Thistlejaw purred to himself when he remembered the WindClan warrior. He didn't have a best friend in ShadowClan, Ebonyfern came the closest, but she spent most of her time training Breezepaw. When he spoke to Adderstorm earlier, he'd felt a connection with him unlike anything he'd felt before in his life. 

Despite the tom being from another Clan, he thanked him for his help. Thistlejaw helped his Clanmates just about daily and he almost never received a grateful response. 

I wouldn't mind seeing him again. 

For the first time since he was first apprenticed, Thistlejaw was excited to attend the next Gathering.