The Only Faith {2}

"Welcome to Conversion Academy."

                The words hung heavy in the air. Of course I'd heard the rumors about this school, but it was effective and some parents were desperate to get a handle on their child.

                "It's too early in the morning for this," I said at last. "Unless you have a few shots of vodka to help me swallow this all down, just stop talking."

                Beckett shrugged, the spark in his eyes gone. "Now you know."

                The door opened and Mr. Sternberg came back into the room. I forced my attention away from Beckett and onto our teacher.

                "Pass your homework up," he said.

                Kids dug a paper out and passed it up the rows. Mr. Sternberg walked along and snatched the papers out of kids' hands, tossing them on his desk when he was done.

                "Fagan, stop leaning in the chair! Sit with good posture!" Mr. Sternberg snapped.

                "Aw Sternberg, I'm not hurting anyone by leaning back," Fagan said.

                Mr. Sternberg stormed over and I watched in surprise as he kicked the chair. Fagan spilled out onto the floor as the chair toppled over, but he managed to catch himself on his arm and land in a neat position.

                He moved to push himself away, but Mr. Sternberg was faster. He grabbed the back of Fagan's maroon vest and yanked him to his feet. He righted the chair and slammed Fagan down onto it, grabbing the back of Fagan's neck and shoving his head down.

                "When I tell you to do something, you do it," Mr. Sternberg snarled.

                "His neck bent isn't good posture," Beckett said.

                "You're on thin ice, Beckett," Mr. Sternberg said, narrowing his eyes at Beckett.

                "Aren't I always?" Beckett didn't seem troubled by the threat.

                Mr. Sternberg released Fagan and went back to the front of the room. He snatched a ruler off his desk and lightly slapped it against his palm.

                "Are you going to teach, or just stand there glaring?" Tessa said after a moment of silence.

                "I have no patience for you lot anymore," Mr. Sternberg said. "This is your last warning for the day."

                "Oh, wow, we actually got a warning this time," Fagan said in surprise.

                Beckett sighed. "And there it goes."

                Sure enough, Mr. Sternberg was already moving down the row toward Fagan. Fagan noticed and let out a groan.

                "Shit. Staple my mouth shut while you're at it, Sternberg," he said, tilting his face.

                Mr. Sternberg struck Fagan in the face with the ruler. My eyes widened as the slapping sound echoed through the room.

                "Oh shit," I said in surprise.

                Mr. Sternberg turned and pointed the ruler at me threateningly. "Watch your language in my class or you'll be next."