𝐼𝐼

Chapter 2: Riot
108th Precinct, Long Island NY
January 15th, 9:52 am

Said that you'll be working late for the third time this week
Watch your love go astray 'cause our love's too routine

Said that you'll be working late for the third time this week Watch your love go astray 'cause our love's too routine

Christopher M. Brown
Badge #99
Position: Captain

He sat in complete silence, his eyes scanning over the stack of papers that occupied the space in front of him. No sounds being heard around the room except that of his breathing and the constant flickering of the dim lamp that hung from the ceiling.

Nothing was organized yet, boxes surrounding him in the black swivel chair he sat in. The environment was new to him, everything having to do with what this next chapter of his life consisted of was something he was still trying to process mentally. To say he was happy would be an understatement for the way he felt, but before all of that he was more proud of himself than anything. Years of working, years of trying to change his life for the better and find his way back on track finally allowed for him to be where he was today. Somewhere he never expected to be had someone asked him just a mere 5 years ago, yet here he was and he wouldn't trade it for anything.

Files, folders, images, information, background checks...the job had already begun. There was no time for settling in, as soon as he passed those double doors to enter this building, he was on the clock. His line of work didn't allow any minutes to pass by where one wasn't alert and looking over something the entire time, whether he was new or not. A second wasted meant a second of a case, or rather, another person's life being wasted and he didn't have that. Refused to.

Hearing a small knock on the door of his large office, he flicked his eyes over towards the sound. He said nothing, waiting for the other person to make themselves known first considering if they said nothing he wouldn't either. Not wanting to be bothered, especially not by anyone needing information out of him or help on anything. Needing at least a little bit of time to get in the correct headspace before he helped those around him do the same.

"Aye...Brown!" Softening his muscles at the sound of the familiar voice, he placed the folder he had in his hand to the side to put his focus on the brown door that remained closed. Standing to his feet with a small smile on his face, he didn't hesitate to make his way over towards the door to pull it open himself.

"My nigga" He mumbled, accepting the dap from his friend who he hadn't seen in what felt like ages. Although it had only been a little over a week considering he was spending a lot of time settling in, that didn't change the fact the two usually seen each other every day, if not every other day.

"I ain't even step foot in this bitch yet, but I know you ain't already start working...nigga just breathe and get your stuff together for one second. Ain't met nobody else who take they job this serious." Kordell shook his head, adjusting the hoodie to his jacket.