Chapter Thirty One

Start from the beginning

"Oh really?" She giggles as she shakes her head at me and I internally applaud myself for making her laugh. "Any specific people that you planned on saving tonight?"

"Well yeah actually," she raises an eyebrow at me. "There's this beautiful brunette with the most gorgeous grayish green eyes I've ever seen. Super cute, can be pretty annoying sometimes but I find it endearing. And she usually gets up in the middle of the night to drink hot milk."

"She sounds great," Abby grins down at the counter top, avoiding my eyes because she knows damn well that I just described her. "What're you saving her from?"

"I'm not sure yet," I say rubbing my palms together. "She can usually be pretty oblivious to things, so I've just got this feeling that she's going to need my help soon."

"Really now?" Abby raises both of her eyebrows at me in a challenging way as if she doesn't believe that I just called her oblivious. "Why do you say that?"

"Because she forgot to take the milk off of the stove and now it's starting to boil over."

She frowns at me for a second before looking over at the milk pot and mumbling an "oh shit" before running over to grab the pot off of the stove. I laugh as she rushes around as she tries to clean up the small mess that she's created. I decide to stand up and help her by grabbing a towel and cleaning up the milk that boiled over onto the stove.

"Is it still drinkable?" I ask Abby who's inspecting the pot of milk as though it's a time bomb.

"I don't think it burned," she nods. "The heat was just turned up too high so it bubbled over, we can still drink it."

I grab two cups out of the cabinet and walk up behind her as she cleans off the side of the pot, careful not to burn herself in the process. She's turns around, not realizing that I'm right behind her and bumps right into me. She tumbles backwards, nearly falling to the floor. I quickly drop the cup in my right hand and my arm darts out of grab hold of her hip.

"Sorry," I apologize and she just looks up at me before looking down at the cup that's now in broken and in pieces all over the floor.

"We're just a mess right now," Abby says as she jumps over the small pile of glass to grab a broom from the kitchen closet. I set the other cup on the closet before turning around. She tosses me the dustpan before she begins to sweep up the glass that is spread all over the floor. When she's gathered it all into a pile I kneel down and put the dustpan in front of it so that she can brush the pieces into it. Once everything is there I proceed to throw it in the garbage can.

"We make a good team," Abby says once we finish cleaning up. She moves back over to grab the pot of milk and proceeds to pour us each a cup. She grabs some sugar from the cupboard and pours some in along with a teaspoon of vanilla extract. She walks over and hands me my cup and we both stand there in silence for a long while as we finish up our drinks. We don't even try to cover up the fact that we're just staring at each other the whole time, it's not a lustful stare though. It's just us taking each other in, we used to do it all the time when we were together and it's been a long time since the last time since I've gotten a good look at her.