XI. Dancing Lights

For a reason unbeknownst to Sophia, Nicholas had managed to seduce her not merely in bed but also beyond it.

Never had she imagined she would be leading him through the secret corridor, past Marcus' study, her face half-covered with a cloak. It was rebellious. It was exciting. It was everything not expected of her.

The guard who came alert when they walked out of the secret exit at the other side of Rock'oles stuttered in panic when she announced that she was leaving with Lord Whiston for a stroll.

"I have Lord Durley's permission."

"But you cannot-"

"I have taken strolls in the past," she snapped, turning her head to the right where the guard's voice came from. There was barely enough light for her to see. "You are new here."

"No, Miss, I have been here three years!"

Drat it. Sophia's jaw tightened. "Then why have I not seen you before?"

"I-I was posted somewhere else months ago-"

"Ah, there you have it then. I cannot blame you for your arrogance. You may go and have a word with Lord Durley if you are unsure." She was certain Marcus was not around for the man to question.

"I cannot allow you to leave without a pass, Miss. Perhaps I will have a word with Mr. Mast."

"We are out for a stroll, lad," Nicholas impatiently snapped beside Sophia. "I would appreciate it if you accept this as our way of gratitude for keeping a blind eye." She saw Nicholas' shadowy form move to hand over something to the guard. "Is fifty townsend enough?"

"Y-yes, but-"

"A hundred then," Nicholas said and Sophia heard the rustling sound of paper.

"Now, if you will please turn around and pretend to be busy stopping an unknown lord from entering through this door, we shall be on our way."

"And hope that Lord Durley never has to find out about this certain lord," Sophia insisted. "But should you find a need to tell him then do so with a straight face."

"B-but what if they look for-"

"No one shall be looking for me," Sophia snapped. "I have already given heed of my early bedtime."

The guard struggled for a moment. "Merely a stroll?" he asked.

"Yes. Fret not, Miss Sophia shall be returned before anyone learns of her absence."

As she felt the man's resistance ebb away, Sophia felt hers seeping in. Perhaps this was a bad idea after all. But she had had made it this far. And she had never been this far away from her chamber for seven years.

Suddenly the overwhelming sense of freedom scared her inhibitions away.

Nicholas took her hand and guided her away from the guard.

"Have you truly had strolls before?" he whispered beside her.

"No, of course not. I lied."

He chuckled as he circled his arm around her to keep her close. "You lie quite easily, Miss Sophia."

"And you bribe people with ease, my lord."

"We are quite a pair, are we not?" he asked, his voice laced with wickedness.

Sophia simply smiled. A small voice in her head was telling her to go back and avoid Marcus' wrath should he find out. But then a stronger one was telling her to move along.

"That guard is easily provoked," he commented as they walked further away.

"Rock'oles is not a prison, my lord. The women can come and go as they please so long as they acquire a pass from Mr. Mast."