Chapter One: Memories and Nightmares

Start from the beginning

“are you sure you’re fine?” he asked.

She sighs. As long as she wanted to tell him her dilemma, she just can’t. First, she doesn’t remember her dream. Second, it fears her that she doesn’t know why. And most importantly, there’s a part of her that stopping her from spilling it out to him.

Guilt rise on her so to make it up to him, she assures him that she is okay. She nods.

“It’s almost every night that you have that nightmare since last week. What happened last week?”

“Nothing. It’s fine baby. I’m fine.”

“Right. Now I’m thinking if it’s right to make you work. You know that we can still live being me alone working. I can’t spoil you but as long as we have each other, it’s fine. Right?”

With those words from him, a pang hits her heart. She feels guilty again but then her work is another thing. Her nightmare is far away from it.

She cups his cheek and sincerely answers. “I’m fine. And yes, I’m fine with anything we have or we haven’t as long as I have you.”

He then holds her hand and look back at her sternly. “then quit.”

She frowns and he continues. “Quit from your job. So that I don’t have to be worried every second about you.”

She smile. “baby, you’re always worried about me. Even though I’m just in our house, still you’re worried. I know that but please don’t start this quitting-my-job again. We already talked about it million times before.”

When he’s not answering back and be conscious again that they’re in public, she taps her hand gently on his face. “I have to go inside now, so please don’t worry too much. I’m really fine. See you later, okay?” she grins then turns her back to him.

The grins vanished as long as her back is facing him. She closed her eyes and mouthed “I’m sorry” then continues walking towards the entrance.

“You’re troubled?” her best friend Yeng asked her.

She looks up and frowns.

“Sarah, you’re troubled. Now it’s not a question, it’s a statement.”

“what do you mean?” she asked.

“I mean, what’s wrong? Finally, Matt gave you a headache?” the tease on her voice is evident.

She knows what she means. Her friend is just implying that her husband is too good to be true. That whenever her husband looks at her, the intensity of possessing her is evident. And sometimes, Yeng emphasizes how Matt isolates her from the world. How strict he is when it comes to her, because apparently Matteo never permits her to go out aside to work especially if he’s not in.

“You do know that he’ll never give me headaches.”

“Yeah right, as if that’s my true question. So now, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing’s wrong.” She answered while shrugging. She then focuses on what she is eating.

She is now with Yeng having their 50-minute break on the company’s cafeteria. She is working to a well-known clothing company in the country. Since the company she is working at is just an extension plant, the working facilities is not that crucial. So she is enjoying the calm on her job being a subordinate from one department together with Yeng.

“Don’t give me that. It’s been a week since you became like that. So spill it out.”

She thinks for a while.