Chapter 31: Mystery

Nicholas's POV

I followed behind her. Thank god, I caught up with her. Why the fvck is this woman moving at this speed?! I was trying to overtake her but slowed down when I saw a truck coming from the opposite side. She swiveled her car to the right as the back of her car hit something and the car just fell to her side. I came to a screeching halt as I got out of my car. The front of her car was facing me as the truck passed by on my right.

***

All Nick could see was her body slammed onto her side. The glass on the front was smashed because of the force with which it hit the ground.
He was completely blank; he didn't know if he had to pulled her out or move the car to a right position first. Or if that would hurt her even more. He stood there staring at her with a horrified look. His hands were raised not knowing if he should go touch her or not. She was too far away, out of his reach. He'd have to climb into the car to get to her.
He was very thankful when Oliver came running to him with his other men and some other people who were passing nearby.
He now came to stand on Eve's side, so that moving the car to its original position won't cause her anymore damage. He pulled her back onto the seat when they pushed the car to the other side. He slowly opened the door and looked for injuries.

There were blood stains on her dress. Her head was dripping from blood as well. His hands were shaking that he'd hurt her. And that is when his eyes went to the report he still had in his hand.
He carefully picked her head and placed a hand behind her back, giving his arm as a support for her head while the other hand was below her thighs. He carried her to his car and sat next to her on the backseat while Oliver occupied the driver's seat and even before he realised the car was already moving.

By the time they reached a hospital, Nick's shirt was soaked with her blood. She was taken inside on a stretcher to an emergency unit, while he silently waited outside.
He sat in his suit with his men around him. All looking like the men in black. They definitely belonged to a mafia family. It was only them waiting near the emergency unit as Nick had his men clear the area. There was utter silence, which was disturbed by the doctor opening the door and Nick finally said something after the incident that happened.

Nicholas's POV

"Is she alright?" I asked as soon as the doctor opened the door.

"Yes, she is...." but I could make out the hesitation on her face.

"What is it?" I whispered loud enough for her to hear.

"Uhm.. since it's an injury on the head, we'll get to know her exact condition when she wakes up. She'll be tired for some time; she'll need some time for recovery because she has lost a lot of blood. We had to use stitches to stop the bleeding on her head. But she'll be alright." She said and gave me an assuring smile and left. But I failed to ask her a question that was now nagging me. But then I decided to wait until Eve wakes up.

I slowly opened the door as I went in to see her. Her forehead was bandaged with an IV connected to her hand that had some water coloured liquid. I strangely felt completely responsible. She wouldn't have been here if not for me.
That was my last thought before I dosed off holding her hand.

***

It was Oliver who woke me up, I guess it would've been an hour or two since I slept. I got up and looked at Eve first. She looked at me blankly, waiting for something. Those expectations in her eyes.... I wish I could fulfill them. I so wish I knew what she wanted. But when she didn't say anything... it scared me.

I hope she's not having any kind of amnesia or something like that in the movies.
"Evelyn?" I called out to her as she slowly moved her eyes to mine. She had that puppy like sad face. "Are you fine?" I asked and she nodded but then touched her stomach and shook her head asking a question to which I didn't have any answer. "Let me call the doctor..." I whispered and got up.

It was after a few minutes that the doctor arrived and smiled at her holding a writing pad with some papers in her hand. She first checked all the machines noting down something. Then went to hold her wrist, checking her eyes.
"Do you feel any pain Mrs. Perkins" she asked giving a broad smile.

Evelyn was blank. Then she looked at me stretching out her hand at me. I quickly went forward to hold her. "You feel any pain baby?" I asked her. She nodded and touched her stomach again. That was the moment I dreaded. I didn't want Evelyn blaming me, but I knew I was the only one who was to blame for everything that happened.
"She was pregnant... is the baby... alright?" I asked and the doctor took a long breath before she replied.

"She has lost a lot of blood that lead to hypotension. And during the first trimester, your blood pressure is usually low. And again, there was a lot of bleeding. My guess is the baby wouldn't have survived.... but we'll do an ultrasound and we need a sample of her blood-" she stopped when Eve pressed her hands onto her ears. The doctor looked at me asking if she should continue and I replied telling her to come back later.

"Evelyn.... we still have hope-" I cut off by her.

"Don't touch me!" She whispered and continued to chant the same thing over and over again. When I tried to hold her, she pushed me away. "GET OUT! It's all because of you..." she said covering her face and continued to cry. "Get out..." she whispered again.

I went outside the room, then straight out of hospital. Oliver came to follow to me, and I didn't really stop him. If she hadn't seen me with Melanie, she wouldn't have left angrily, driving the car at that speed!

"Why are you following me Oliver? Go stay with her, she might need something." I said and he looked unsure.

My phone rang and it displayed my dad's name. He wanted me to see to it that Evelyn and the baby will be fine. And that I won't stress them out with my decision. What do I tell him now? I just left it to ring for as long as it did. All I did was walk and walk and walk and the phone still kept ringing.

"You can go Oliver... or at least send someone to stay with Evelyn." I said as I walked forward, not knowing where I was going.

"That can be arranged, Sir." He said taking out his phone and moved away to some distance. He came back after few minutes with a scared face.

"Now what?... Eve is fine right?" I asked and he shook his head as in 'no'.

"What do you mean?! What happened?!" I asked as I turned around to walk back to the hospital.

"Sir she's missing. She's not on her bed. Not in the washroom." He said following behind me. "Mark was there, when he asked people, they told that they saw her limping her way outside the hospital. Even the CCTV cameras show the same. It seems she left only few minutes after you left, Sir." He replied. I was biting my teeth hardly, so I won't lash out at him. "There are no shops around so we could know where she's gone or no other cameras for us to see or get a clue. Now where she's gone is a mystery."

Evelyn's POV

I don't want to stay here anymore. Not with him. Not in this hospital. Not under his care.

I felt this light painful tug just above my pelvis, near my lower abdomen. But I just wanted to get out of this place. And that's what I did.
I successfully went out of the gate without anyone recognizing me.
But I turned around to see a black car following me. But I couldn't move anymore faster. I heard the car stop.... the engine was still on. Then I felt the footsteps nearing me, but I didn't dare turn around. But before I could even do something, someone held both my hands by wrapping an arm around me and the other one came up to my mouth......

Unknown POV

"What the fvck did you even do with her?! She's not waking up!" I screamed.

"But Sir, you were the one who said not to harm her. It was the easiest way possible.... and-"

"Shut up! You fools! I never asked you to use that much chloroform on her! Now call the doctor! And if anything happens to her, you're all gone!" I screamed. Bloody hell! I feel like I've fvcking built an army of brainless minions!