Chapter Eight: Crushed

Even if Kanbe wasn't allowed to stay, he would be staying anyway. If anyone said anything, I would pull the "You owe me" card. Truth was, not many had to lose their lives in the battle of Odawara. Why? Because I stepped in and kept Mitsu from killing our Shogun. If I hadn't, Oshu would have lost to the West. But I hoped that it wouldn't come down to that.

I gathered a series of tools, long and pointy, to try and pick the lock on Kanbe's shackles. We sat down, for atleast a few hours a day just so I count try. I made tea Every time.
__________

(Masamune's POV)

After the battle at Odawara, I survived because that girl stepped in between the Dark King and me. I knew she was only trying to help, and I yelled at her. I never wanted help during a one on one duel, but Kojuro explained that she just didn't want me to get hurt. Come to think of it, she threw herself, right in front of the Dark King's blade. She could have been cut to shreds, trying to save me.

So I went to apologize to her about what I said, even though it wasn't my style. The truth was, she grew on me, and after that battle I wanted to tell her that she had. So I could thank her for what she did. But I entered the room, where she was talking to Kojuro, and she had another guest, The Badger from the mines. Her arms were around him, with affection. I tried not to make it obvious that I stared at them, so I just called Kojuro out of the room with me.

Kojuro told me everything about the girl that had come to live with us. Apparently her name was (Y/N), Toyotomi. It was real shady when she didn't even tell us her name. And here I thought she was just an ordinary girl.

She was pretty much royalty. She could have anyone she wanted, I bet. Probably too good for anyone of a lower status. I didn't bother talking to her after that. I mean...I didn't know what I could have said from then on.
_________

((Y/N)'s POV)

I decided to have a picnic with Kanbe so we could catch up and I could pick at the locks on his shackles. I invited Kojuro along, but he said he had some work to do in the fields. Masamune kinda avoided me, but I just thought he was busy.

"I'm tellin ya, Kid, it ain't gonna work. There is only one key to this lock." Kanbe felt the need to remind me.

"Well, until I get it, I'm still gonna try." I laughed.

A few hours later, Kojuro approached us with a scroll in his hand.

"(Y/N), you have mail." He smiled and handed an elegant, lightly tinted tube with the scroll inside. I looked at the seal and recognized the Toyotomi crest, making me afraid to open it. Still, I did.

"The Toyotomi? The hell do they want?" Kanbe asked.

"They shouldn't know I'm here, unless..." I trailed off and read through the note.

Dear (Y/N),
Don't be afraid to open this letter, it is only me, Mitsunari.

It was the fates that allowed me to see you on the battlefield. I had not been so shocked in my life. Lord Hideyoshi explained to me that you were killed by the Oda. So I in turn endured the harshest of training so that I could avenge your death. Now after seeing you, I don't know what to believe. I had trusted in my Lord all my life.

I will not be leaving here for a few days. I have provided a container in which you may send a reply. I would like to hear from you. Tell me everything.

Mitsunari.

After reading the letter I was eager to reply, but I wouldn't until a later time when I was alone. For now, I kept working on Kanbe's lock.

"What did he say?" Kojuro asked politely.

"Its was Mitsunari. He is just saying hi." I smiled, and rolled up the letter to place it back into the container. "Apparently he was being lied to. My father told him I was dead."

"Were you friends when you were little?" Kojuro asked.

"Yes. Very good friends." I smiled. "He was always there for me. Kanbe as well."

"Yeah...couldn't do nothin when she was taken though." He looked at kojuro. I was just a kid, my word against Hideyoshi's who do you think they believed? His people are arrogant, but man are they gullible."

"Mitsu being one of them, I guess..." I added. "But now he knows it's me. And he wants to keep in touch. I'm glad."

"So then...are we still planning on going to Osaka? To confront the Toyotomi?" Kojuro asked.

"Yes. If not to kick his ass, I atleast want to ask him some questions. For closure." I explained. "Where is Lord Masamune? I really want to let him know what's going on."

"Yeah? What else?" Kanbe playfully nudged me again.

"Young Blossom, is there something you wish to discuss with Masamune?" Kojuro asked.

"Well, Kojo, I like him alot. And I just wanted to tell him I appreciated all he did for me."

"He is practicing in the gardens." Kojuro smiled. I poured him a cup of tea before I left.

I looked around, wondering which gardens Kojuro was talking about. I mean come to think of it, there were quite a few gardens in the area. Oh well, guess I'd have to check everyone of them.

Eventually, I came to a quiet garden, one that had floral walls that resembled made within. Right in the center, I found Masamune, and he wasn't alone.

There was a woman keeping him company. Dark hair, bright blue eyes. She was beautiful. She kept giggling though,and it made me a little uncomfortable to watch her sitting so close to him.

She leaned over closer to him, and he smirked, teasing her.

I had hope that they wouldn't get any closer. That hope kept my eyes glued on them, even though I wanted so badly to look away. They kept inching closer, and they weren't stopping this time.

Their lips touched lightly, not to last long. They were full blown making out in the center of the garden.

"Masamune...?" I muttered a little louder than I had hoped. They quickly stopped what they were doing and looked my way. I had to get out of there. I was suddenly in a complete panic, as Masamune began walking towards me.

Luckily, I knew my way through the maze, going out the same way I came in. I was able to make it out and make it home before he found me. Kojuro and Kanbe greeted me with a warm and welcoming smile.

"How'd it go?" Kojuro asked.

"I...I couldn't find him. He wasn't in any of the nearby gardens." I answered, doing an amazing job of hiding what happened, if I do say so myself.

"Bull." Kanbe muttered, but Kojuro didn't hear.

"I'm just gonna go to bed now, I'm kinda tired. Goodnight! Love you both!"

I'm sure they tried to talk to me as I walked away, but I didn't give them a chance to. I locked myself in my room for the rest of the night.