1.1 | Retired Life End

Have you ever thought of your whole life and realize you have done nothing special at all?

Grandma Rose do.

Since the early age of 12, Rose was dragged from one music concert to another, earning money. It had always been that way until she decided to retire when she was over 65.

Although music is fun for her, there isn't anything special happening in her life.

Except for when she picked up a girl from the streets and adopted her as her own.

Life becomes peaceful when you wishes it to be, and she seems to be more inclined to live her's in that way no matter what.

As far back Rose can remember, she had no parents to give her guidance, no siblings to compete with and no lover to really pour her heart and soul. If it had not been for her adopted daughter, she would be as alone as a stone right now while looking outside her glass window, overlooking the night sky and amusing herself over the several hundreds of city lights dancing in the darkness.

Rose is old now, and have retired for a long time. She can already feel her life coming to a close.

—Creak— The door to her Study slowly opened, revealing her adopted daughter behind the door.

She is a gorgeous brunette, able to catch people's attention with just her presence.

As she walked closer towards Rose, she slowly saw her facial features and she was smiling kindly to her as always. She gently said, "Mother, you are not resting yet? It's already way past your bed time." As she was speaking, she gently tucked some stray hairs behind Rose's ear.

She pulled Rose's wheelchair closer to the bed. Rose have been sleeping in her Study ever since she found out she could no longer walk. In here, she has books to read and musical instruments to fiddle with.

Rose reached out to her daughter's hand and begun rubbing it affectionately, patting it twice afterwards. "I was just thinking about my life, dear..."

A sharp gasp could be heard, worry lacing Rose's daughter's face. "Mother..." She tried to think of words to comfort her mother, to persevere perhaps but both of them knew there was no more words to be said.

Rose slowly reached out to give her daughter a hug, which might be her last and said, "Lin, you have been a wonderful gift to me. If there was anything that was worth it in all my life, it was meeting you and making you my daughter..."

Lin begun to whimper and eventually, big tear drops rolled down her limpid eyes. Rose's eyes turned glossy but she was never the emotional type, instead, she rubbed her daughter's back in comfort.

When Lin had calmed down, she softly asked, "Could you please attend my concert tomorrow, Mother? It's the one I've been meaning to have you listen.."

Rose slowly bobbed her head in assent, a gentle smile lacing her lips. "Of course."

Lin was delighted and carefully helped her mother to bed.

"Mother, can I stay here with you? I'll bring out my friend's new game and accompany you..." Lin still wanted to stick to her mother as much as possible, as if afraid when she goes and sleep in her own room, she wouldn't be able to see her mother again.

Rose understood Lin's anxiousness and did not deny her request. In moments, Lin was sitting close to the bed, and sprawled on the floor were gaming equipment so complicated for Rose to understand.

In 10 minutes, Lin was already doing the tutorial of her friend's underdeveloped game. It was a game called "Modern Fantasy", a mix of cyber technology and fantasy— sci-fi.

There were many character configurations, but the default look was how the player biologically looked like. And while the appearance can be enhanced, there's a limit. Lin chose to be a man, and hurriedly jumped into the beginner town where she encountered more newbie tutorials.

Hours of playing, Rose vaguely learnt about the game too as Lin would talk to herself often, saying this and that about the game mechanics. She still kept playing even when Rose had fallen asleep.

The very next day, Lin drove the car to the venue of her event

The very next day, Lin drove the car to the venue of her event. It was raining cats and dogs, causing the windshield to be splattered with heavy rain every second. For every wipe, another wave of water would cover the windshield. It made it hard for Lin to see as she drove past the busy streets, and there appears to be a festival going on as well.

Rose looked outside her window, observing the various activities playing outside. Several drones were roaming about acting as cops, always scanning for dangerous weapons. Up above, flying cars were passing by each other in high speed. Drivers did not have to worry of collision because each flying vehicle is equipped with a higher level of artificial intelligence. It can even be commanded to drive itself.

The heavy downpour did not hinder the robots deployed, nor the intelligent cars.

There were very many people walking or running about and were making a fuss over the celebration of a ground breaking technology. Although Rose could not see what it was, but it seemed it had something to do about preserving life forever.

Several people in the crowd were wearing a special headgear that covered their eyes. With it, one can see very far away and analyse the target, gathering the information from the Universal Information Bank. Every human in the Solar System has their record added in the bank, making it possible to detect illegal immigrants.

With everything known to the authority, crime rates is maintained as can be.

There were still anomalies, such as people going crazy from paranoia. Having eyes trained on you all time can easily affect weak-minded people, and cause them to breakdown. Or people who were on the opposite side of that spectrum, feeling too much excitement from being seen by the world and eagerly play with life, easily ending one for fun.

Rose narrowed her eyes at the silly thoughts swirling in her head. She was reading a mystery novel early in the morning, just for the heck of it. Now, her mind was full of questions over people's mind processes; their agendas, their reasons, etc.

She glanced to the front to change her state of mind, but she could only see a blast of bright light and the irritating sounds of honking.

A long sound of screeching could be heard, then the loud and hard collision of cars.

Rose could feel a sharp pain on her head, a trail of warm liquid flowing down to her eyes and she felt her limbs ache all over. She dazedly looked to her daughter, yet she could only see an empty seat, a broken windshield and the darkness pulling her consciousness.

Please be fine... Lin... This was all Rose thought before death took her forever.