[ 2 ] Chapter Two

Start from the beginning

After locking the door tightly behind me, I started on my journey to the tree-house. The leaves on the trees around me started swaying with the wind that had started up. I looked back, saying a silent good-bye before I continued forward, not looking back.

The house itself was covered in moss, looking very abandoned. Which was true, because I hadn't used it since I was 12. That year one of the floor boards gave out and my leg got stuck in the hole for a few hours. I was too paranoid to go back up ever again.

In a few trips I got all of my things up into the building. The old mattress was still lying in one corner, an empty table in the other. There were a series of shelves lining the walls, some of them holding some old knickknacks from when I was little.

I made up my bed and lay down, staring up at the "skylight" in the ceiling. With a bag of chips, I watched the clouds roll by silently, going nowhere fast. My eyes began to feel heavy and before I knew it I was completely dead to the world.

~    ~   ~   ~   ~  ~   ~    ~    ~  ~    ~     ~   ~   ~     ~     ~    ~    ~    ~     ~   ~     ~

It was about 9 o'clock when I woke up. My eyes opened to a sky filled with bright, shining stars surrounded my darkness. Wait, I was surrounded by darkness. I bolted upright, taking in my surroundings. It took a few minutes, but once I had righted myself again, I got up and pulled out my book light and a paperback novel from my bag and read for a while.

As I was reading, all I could hear around me were the sounds of the night animals waking up and running around, most likely scrounging around for food. Then, out of nowhere, I heard a twig snap a few feet away from where I was. I had ignored it, figuring it was just an animal in search of its nightly snack. Rule number one of staying overnight in the woods: don't assume.

A hand clamped down on my neck as another hand covered my mouth so I couldn’t scream, or breathe for that matter. They were really cold and strong, reminding me of Alice and the other Cullen's. She was cold, but I thought it was because she rarely wore anything with sleeves on.

My attempt to scream and get away made the person laugh. It was most definitely a guy. “Why, hello there beautiful. You’d make a very nice dinner for me tonight,” His mouth was on my neck and I felt his teeth resting on my skin, but I jerked my head away from him before anything happened.

“You little-” he growled, cutting himself off with a hiss, showing me his fangs. He was a vampire, there was no other explanation.

The man racked his sharp finger nails over my right shoulder, breaking through the skin with ease. The pain exploded where his nails were, but there wasn't anything I could do. This guy was way too strong. He laughed at me, his entire body shaking when he did. I picked up my leg and kneed him as hard as I could between his legs. I expected him to double over in pain, but I was momentarily shocked when he just gazed at me, grinning like a mad man. Right, vampires can't feel anything. At least that's what the novels had told me.

He picked me up off of the ground, holding me by the collar of my top. I struggled against him, trying to wrench his hands off of me. No dice. "Well well, we're rather feisty, aren't we?" The vampire chuckled, walking over to the doorway. He was holding me over to opening, my feet dangling in the air. I looked down, seeing that the closest thing to me was the ground. It wasn't exactly close either.

"I'll see you in a few. Have a nice fall," His hands released their grip on me and the next thing I knew I was rolling on the ground, a sickening snap echoing through the trees. A tree had stopped me from rolling any father. I tried to catch my lost breath, but the vampire was right in front of me, his black boot-clad foot pushing down on my chest.