“There’s no way in hell I am leaving you alone in here. Luca would have my head- literally! Speaking of, does he know you are here?” he asked, slipping his hands deep into his slacks pockets.

“No, he doesn’t and I’d appr-“

Suddenly, the noise of glass breaking shattered the near silence of the house.  Grace’s heart sped up in fear. She ran for the dining room, where she believed the noise to have come from.

She stopped in the doorway, watching a knelt figure picking up fallen shards of glass from the floor. The stench of alcohol was prominent in the stagnant air.

“Daddy?”

The figure popped his head above the dining table, resting his chin on the surface. It was in fact her father, but in no way did he remind her of the man that had raised her. This man was dirty and unkempt with a crazed look in his eye and the smell of whiskey on his breath.                

“Gracie, why does that man have a gun?” George Hanson spoke in a trembling voice laced with a twinge of madness. 

Grace turned to see Russo with his gun in hand.  She ran up and pushed him hard in the chest.

“For God’s sake, put that thing away! Can’t you see he’s frightened?”

Russo stumbled back, his gaze locking in on the man kneeling on the floor.

“H-he saved me.” His hands reached around to his side just below his ribcage.

“What?”

Dr. Hanson got to his feet.

“That’s the boy I saved all those years ago that got us in to all of this mess. If it weren’t for him, I wouldn’t have any ties to the fucking Mafia, and you wouldn’t have been forced to marry this son of a bitch!”

Russo assumed a fighting stance, raising his gun again.

“Don’t you dare talk about my mother like that!”

Grace’s mind seemed to be processing the scene before her in slow motion. The crazed looks in both men’s eyes scared her. She watched as her father picked up the deadly sharp remains of his glass, poised to use it as a weapon.

“Stop,” She choked out, “Stop. Daddy, I am not marrying him. I’m engaged to his brother.”

“Like that makes any difference. They’re all the same.  They’re snakes with no intent other than killing for money.”

Grace shook her head. “Luca isn’t like that. He is kind, and I do not believe he would hurt anyone that had not hurt him.”

George scoffed, clearly not believing his daughter’s judgment.

“Daddy, I didn’t come here to pick a fight with you. I came to ask you to come to my wedding, not for them, but for me, because if you aren’t there, I will have no one. Daddy you are my rock and I need you. I need you to walk me down the aisle. I can’t do this alone.”

Grace noted the desperation in her own voice. She knew it was a lost cause. Her father had turned into a mad drunk that could not be reasoned with.

“Mark my words Gracie, I will not be in attendance to watch you throw your life away to a bunch of lying, cheating, killing bastards. I just won’t.”

She wiped the sting of salty tears away from her cheeks, allowing her father’s words to truly sink in. She felt like her heart had been torn in two.

“Bye, Daddy,” Grace whispered, turning away from the man who raised her in favor of the cold, dark afternoon awaiting her outside.

Russo watched the broken girl as she left the house.

“I think we both know I’m not the bastard in this situation. You and I, we have unfinished business. I will be back. Who knows? Maybe I’ll even bring the bastard she’s going to marry tomorrow; because I am damn certain he loves her more than you do.”

George lunged for Russo. However, Russo was one step ahead and shot a bullet an inch to the left of the doctor’s head.  The doctor stood paralyzed in fear, and Russo made his exit.

He met Grace at the car. Her tear filled eyes held betrayal and fear.

“Wh-what did you do?” she whispered.

“He’s fine. I just scared him. Grace I-“

“I do not want to talk to you. Just drive.”

There be the next chapter. Intense right?? I'm really excited, the next chapter will be Luca and Grace's wedding and EVERYTHING will start to pick up from there. 

I'm curious... How do YOU think this story will end??  

Leave a COMMENT and let me know, or you can VOTE, either one is much appreciated. 

Thanks! 
SW