You're a Venzetto Now

VIII.
You're a Venzetto Now

It had been hours after the dispute last night before Grace finally felt herself being pulled into a soft slumber. The last thing she remembered before falling asleep was a shadow in her doorway and a breathy kiss on her cheek. She had been so tired though, it could have all been a dream for all she knew. And now, she was being pulled back into reality by a loud humming.                    

She groaned as dull light flooded the room.                                                                                     

Risvegliare, Grace. You cannot sleep all day.” It was Gia. Grace felt like she should have known than matron of the house would be the one to wake her from her comfortable sleep.            

She blinked the sleep from her eyes and pushed herself into a sitting position. Gia had busied herself in the corner of the room where Grace had left her unpacked suitcase lying open from yesterday. There was a tray with tea and fresh bread on the bureau on the opposite wall. The sight of the steamy bread made Grace’s mouth water.                                                                                   Gia mumbled something to herself, pulling an old shift out of the suitcase. She was rummaging through Grace’s things!                                                                                                              

“E-excuse me, Gia?” Grace asked hesitantly, not sure of the older woman’s intent.                             

“You cannot wear these! They are old and of poor make. You are going to need to go out and purchase new clothes.” Grace frowned. She didn’t see anything wrong with her clothes, especially her underclothes at that.                                                                                                                 

Gia came over to her, taking Grace’s cheeks in her hands gently.                                                    

Cara, you are a Venzetto now. We are an influential family in this city, and as such, there are certain things expected of us. One of those is how we dress, especially with all the parties Valentino throws and attends. I meant no harm by what I said, I merely want you to have the best because you are worthy of it. You deserve fine silks and Egyptian cottons, and you will have them.”                                                                                                   

“Well, thank you,” was the meager reply.                                                                                          

“Of course, my dear. I will have you go into town and pick some new things out. We are attending the Governor’s ball tomorrow night, and I want you to look absolutely stunning!”                  

Gia left to let Grace get ready for the day shortly after their conversation.                                            

Grace let out a deep breath, raising her arms high above her head to stretch.The Governor’s ball! She thought. She hadn’t realized that aside from their name that was so well known in the crime community that the Venzettos were influential in other places as well. She would have to ask someone about that when she got the chance.