Chapter 1

Hanna P.O.V.

"On last weeks episode of The Vampire Diaries..." I heard blasting through the T.V.

  I am currently snuggled up in a warm blanket on the couch with a big bowl of buttery popcorn on my lap.  Finally I get to relax and rest, this has been the longest week ever, I think to myself. This week was finals and I am catching up on my much needed down time. I've never been so stressed out in my life.

The house is dark, seeing as I'm the only one home. That's not a surprise really, because both of my parents are gone. My dad died from and animal attack a few years ago and they never found the animal. Ever since then I feel like at any moment he could walk through the door with his bright, loving smile plastered on his face. But, I have to remind myself that that's never going to happen.

As for my mother, she's a mess. She didn't take his death very well and blames it on herself. Every night she comes home drunk and angry. That's why I get to bed early to avoid her in her rage. Some nights I wake up to the sounds of her smashing bottles and braking the left out dirty dishes. I'm forced to run downstairs and calm her down before she hurts herself or me.

Life is really hard for me. I have to take care of myself because my Mother can't even manage to take care of herself. I wake myself up for school every morning, make breakfast for my Mother and I, go to school, work my shift at the local café, come back home, do my homework, make dinner, and go to bed. After having a long enough day I then have to deal with my drunk Mother who can barely walk in a straight line for more than a couple of steps without my assistance. She's such a child and I can barely handle it anymore.

Before my Dad died life was perfect. My Dad was a doctor and my Mother was a nurse at the same hospital. They worked together and had a loving relationship, I remember how they looked at each other and how it was like they were the only two in the room. My Mother was a hard worker, she was always on time and got paid good money. Along with the money my Dad made, my family was doing pretty good.

When my Dad died my Mom went from a full-time nurse to a half-time nurse. She works the night shifts and drinks during the day. My life is pretty tragic as you can tell. I lost all of my friends after the accident because I had no time to socialize with them. I'm pretty much a loner, and as far as I can tell no one would care if I disappeared, I guess it wouldn't even matter.

Snapping out of my thoughts I looked down and saw a puddle of tears beginning to pool on my lap. I wiped the remaining drops from the side of my soaking wet face. I noticed that my T.V. show had already ended and another one had started so I clicked off the T.V. and stood up from the couch. Placing the bowl of popcorn on a small table I made my way up the stairs into my room.

Walking into my room I head straight for my bed. I pulled back my white, puffy sheets and sunk into them. I lay in the dark staring up at my purple walls rethinking my life and how I really need to reconnect with my friends. All of the sudden I heard the garage door open causing my room to shake. Great, my Mother is home.

"Hanna I'm home honey" I heard her yell up, I can already tell her voice is very slurred.

"Coming Mom" I yell down.

As I walk slowly down the stairs I immediately regret the decision when I see her. She had on jeans and a loose fitting shirt. Her makeup was severely smudged causing her to have a raccoon like look. The closer I get the stronger the smell of vodka is. 

"Did you make me dinner" she yelled as she walked into the kitchen.

"No Mother I didn't make you dinner, I had a hard week so I ate out." I loudly replied, quickly getting irritated at the fact that she thinks I'm her personal cook.

"Well, you're a little snappy today aren't you." she slurred almost tripping over her feet on the way to the refrigerator.

"Oh I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you. I know how hard you work everyday to make my life better" I replied with my voice laced with sarcasm.

"You listen to me Hanna. I work way harder than you, you do nothing for this family, so what, you make a few meals here or there. I don't need your help" She screamed.

I lost it.

"Are you kidding me! I do everything for you, you're a child who doesn't do anything around this house. Your a lazy drunk, a disgrace to Mothers. I always liked Dad better anyway. He actually loved me." I yelled as tears began to well up in my eyes.

She turned around and slammed the refrigerator door. Holding a bottle of whiskey she walked toward me. It was all a blur, and I can't even remember what she was yelling as she stopped in front of my face. Before I could react she lifted up her hand and smacked me hard across the face.

I was frozen trying to comprehend what had just happened. My Mother hit me, she hurt me. I pushed her back and ran out the front door not thinking of anything else except for the throbbing pain in my right check. I turned around when the slam of the front door echoed throughout the neighborhood. She just slammed the door on me. That's it I'm done. I kept on running.

I began to slow down after running through a few backyards and streets. The only light that was on the street was provided by a few street lights here and there. Other than that the streets were completely black. I walked and walked, finally I reached a bench in front of a lonely play-ground. I guess I'll have to sleep here.

Just as I thought my night couldn't get any worse I noticed a man dressed in all black nearing the park bench I was sitting on. This is it, this guy is going to kill me, I can tell. I didn't even bother to run, instead I sat there waiting for him to come to me.

He got close enough that I could see his face. I would say he was in his thirties and attractive for how old. He was dressed in a leather jacket and jeans.

My heart was pumping so fast I thought I would die of a heart attack before he could get to me. He sat down on the bench. I turned my neck that was now dabbed with sweat to see him. What do you want, I was tempted to scream out of anger and fear.

"Hello Hanna, I'm Peter. I understand that you are going through some tough times right now, is that true?" he said.

How does he know who I am? Who is this Peter guy? I sat there to frightened to talk.

"I said is that true?!" he said raising his voice slightly causing me to jump.

"Y-yes" I managed to choke out.

"Well sweetheart I think I can help you with that." he smiled back at me.

Thank you for reading my very first chapter! Vote and add "My Anchor" to your library please.

xoxo

Casey