Chapter 1

(Mark of the Water Nymph is the sequel to Tattoo of the Black Angel and follows directly after the events that have happened in the last book. If you have not read 'Tattoo' in its entirety and have not bought the ebook or the print version, then please be aware of the spoilers that are contained in this sample of the next book. You can purchase Tattoo of the Black Angel on Amazon.)

Mark of the Water Nymph

A.E Kirk © 2020

"If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water." Loren Eiseley

Chapter One

My heart pumped like the rapidly escaping bubbles from an underwater volcano. Salty liquid coated my palms. Terror dilated my eyes and I was on high alert, I was becoming the hunted and I was running for my life. I was fleeing those who were trying to take me away from my ethereal existence. I had a mission to complete. I would not let them catch me.

My semi-dry bare feet slapped against the wet concrete as I headed towards the old abandoned pier. It had seen better days, but the world had no need for such outdated activities.

Barging through the "Restricted Access" barrier with my shoulder, I took the chance to glance behind me. I saw them: four men in black suits. One of them holding what appeared to be a long, metal rod. What they were going to do with that, I was unsure. I had seen something similar on the hidden plane, but I doubted that the humans had hold of that. Zeus would not allow it.

Heading straight to the entrance of the pier, I saw a metal door ahead. The top of which was glass. It was my only option. Springing into the air, I twisted and shot straight through the window; landing on the other side and rolling to gain back some momentum. Ignoring the shards of glass, I headed towards my goal, the sea.

As I sprinted towards the iron sea I called home, it suddenly dawned on me that I was returning alone. He had left me, abandoned me, but why? It was because of him that I was running for my life, now alone on the surface world. Was there anyone who could help me?

Suddenly, the air around me began to fizzle and crackle; charged with high amounts of electricity. I turned and saw it. A human was holding the metal rod, and a blinding white bolt of lightning flashed. I had no time to move, no conductor to stop the shock penetrating my body and rendering me useless. How did the humans have hold of Zeus' staff? How did they even know about it? Their ridiculous Greek mythology did not even mention it. It was a secret kept from the humans for a reason.

Screaming in pain as the white-hot electricity zapped through my body, I felt myself go floppy. I hit the wet wooden pier with an almighty thud!

The running men came closer but then slowed as they approached. They feared me still, and so they should.

'Ah, my dear Thera,' one of the men said slyly, panting a little from running. 'What a find you are and my master would be all too pleased to add you to his Cabinet of Idols.'

Unable to move or speak I tried to make a connection to my brother, to reach out through our unique link and use his powers to help me. However, I could not find it. The link was broken.

'Turn her over,' the man snapped to his subordinates. Rolled over by a shoe, I faced a stern human with salt and pepper hair. He stared back with an evil glint in his eye. 'Nice to see you oh Mother of Water Nymphs. Oh yes, I know who you are. I know how you were created.' He smiled knowingly at me. 'Your ilk disgusts me. In fact, every legend is like vermin to me.' Bending closer he asked, 'Do you know who I am? Well, I shall tell you. I am a man with a very bold idea,' he laughed mockingly and reached out to stroke my hair.