Chapter 8: What you seek is what you find

As Vince looked around, looking for the new different voice that had shouted his name. When he saw me I motion for him to come to where I was. I asked him if he could give me a lift to the lowest branches so that I could climb the tree. He agreed and quickly picked me up like I was a sack of potatoes and set me on the closest branch. I thanked him and he smiled clearly pleased that I liked him. I scramble up the tree feeling as free as...well as free as I have ever been. As soon as I had finally reach as high as I dared myself to go. I sat down and looked at everyone below who were completely oblivious that I was above them.

            I than remember how whenever I needed to break away from the drama at the old house, I would climb out my window into the roof and jump to the tree near the roof. I used to lie next to the bark and close my eyes feeling relaxed and almost like I was going to fall over.  I was about to do it, when I heard Dom yell

 "Calayla!!!!!?"

            I almost fell over but caught hold of myself just in time. I started giggling and than laughing when I saw their confused expressions on their face because they had no idea where my voice was coming from. I stood up and walk to the tip of the branch.

"Hey Dom, I'm up here" I giggled.

            I started giggling even more when I saw Mia's face. She looked like she was about to have a heart attack.

"Calayla!? What the heck are you doing up there?" Dom yelled

"Dom, you don't have to yell I'm right here, and I'm just climbing the tree silly..." I replied back calmly

            He looked around trying to see if he could spot the guilty person who helped me climb the tree. His eyes landed on Vince. Vince sighed "Sorry" he mumbled looking anywhere but at Dom.

"Vince" Dom said in an annoyed voice

"What were you thinking? She could of had hurt herself or even worse fallen over!!!" he exasperated

"Dom" I yelled offended that they thought I couldn't even climb a tree "I can take care of myself thank you very much!" I huffed

I heard Letty chuckle and whisper to Vince "She's one of them alright"

"Dom" I yelled "look I can even balance while walking with no hands"

Brian started shouting "Wait Calayla don't..."

            But of course I didn't hear the whole thing, me being the usual hard headed show off, ignored him and while showing off I was completely oblivious that I was getting closer to the tip of the branch and it was beginning to crack a little.

"See Dom" I proudly boasted "I'm not...."

            I never got to finish my sentence because the next thing I know the branch broke and I started falling rapidly to the ground. As I braced myself for the unpleasant impact, instead of hitting the ground I landed in someone arms. I looked up to see who my hero was, just to see that it was Dominic...again...

I laughed nervously "Hey Dom, how it's going...?"

Dom looked at me and only said "Don't you ever pull that stunt again... ever!"

            He put me on the ground and walked away. I sat there in a moment wondering why Dom was so serious and mad...? I stood up a bit embarrassed and avoided everyone eyes. I sprinted through the trees and kept going until I couldn't anymore. I slowed down and just continued walking until I felt like I had gone far enough. When I stopped to rest next to a large tree. I sat down and leaned against it. I could hear nothing else but my heart beating and I could slowly feel tears welling up in me. I was so angry and upset that I made Dominic unhappy. I was so worried that now they were going to send me back. I was counting to be the perfect little sister.

              I could feel the tears sliding down my face. I curled up to a ball and cried and cried until I fell asleep. I woke up and saw that it was almost dark. I got up and shivered. I forgot to bring a jacket and was freezing in my shorts and my thin long sleeved shirt. I started walking but after 10 minutes of walking. I realized that I had absolutely no idea how to get to the house. Now I was afraid, I tried going back but all the trees looked basically the same. I decided to than just keep walking in a direction, because eventually I would have to come upon a house or something and than I could always called them. Soon though, as I was walking I could barely see three feet ahead of me because it was so dark and cold. I finally gave up and thought that this probably what I deserved. I curled into a ball between two large roots and I closed my eyes, and figured I would just search for the way again in the morning.

            About a few hours later, I heard voices coming; I couldn't recognize it so I ran. I heard them shouting after me saying "She is running, don't let her escape!!!" I ran and ran but I couldn't see anything I only had the moonlight to guide me whenever there wasn't a huge tree. As I was running I tripped on a root and fell over. I got scrapped on my knees and arms. I could hear their footstep coming closer.  Got up and winced as a pain shot up through my foot. I definitely sprained it, but I couldn't stop. I ran and ran, wincing whenever a branch scraped my legs, arms, and face. Soon I couldn't hear their voices anymore. I continued running for about 5 more minutes before I collapsed against a tree. I brought my knees to my chest and buried my face in my arms. When I lifted my arms were red with blood from my face and my arms, it was so dirty, that I was worried I would get an infection from it, but I was so tired that... that was the last thing on my mind.