“So you are Míril, called Fëanoriel.” She reached out and took Míril’s hand. “Welcome to Valinor, young one. I am Indis.”

Behind her, Míril glimpsed a woman even more beautiful than Indis. She had golden hair braided in tresses and done up in a brilliant design, more fancy than her mother’s. Indis caught her stare.

“This is Findis, my eldest child.” Indis smiled. “Come inside, both of you.”

Glorfindel smirked at Míril and gestured for her to go first. She rolled her eyes at him and did as she was instructed, stepping up into the small cottage. Once inside she found yet another woman there, though this elf had rich, dark hair of raven black.

“Meet Lalwendë, my younger daughter.” Indis smiled warmly at her daughter.

“It is an honor, truly,” Míril bowed to them.

“Lalwen please,” the dark haired maiden corrected her mother.

Glorfindel and Míril went further in, sitting on a large couch while Findis went to fetch them tea. Lalwen looked with curiosity upon Miril.

“We heard you were in need of a dress,” Indis began immediately as she pulled chairs around for herself and her daughters. “We figured we could help!”

Míril brightened. “Indeed, my lady! That would be wonderful!”

“So you are descendent of Fëanor?” Lalwen immediately jumped into the question she had on her heart.

Míril sat up. “Indeed I am.”

Lalwen looked at her intently. Several moments passed where no one dared speak, but at last she continued. “We thank you for returning the Silmaril.”

Miril let out the breath she had been holding. “Of course.”

“The Powers debated breaking it,” Lalwen continued. “Hoping to rekindle the Two Trees. But Yavanna counseled against it, for one remains still out of our reach and without all three… no guarantees are there that we wouldn't simply lose the light.”

Míril sighed. “Yes, I suppose this is true.”

Findis reappeared moments later with not only tea, but a beautiful red dress that seemed about Míril's size. “Here you are.”

Indis clapped her hands together. “Oh wonderful. Thank you, Findis.”

Glorfindel smiled. “I figured you would have something, Indis.”

“Of course, Glorfindel!” She laughed. “You know I keep all the clothes my children have ever worn.”

Findis and Lalwen laughed along with her. Míril merely chuckled and took the dress from Findis. Lalwen showed her where she could bathe and change.

“Thank you,” Míril nodded to her as she retreated into a guest room.

Slowly she climbed into the shower room and pressed the hand pump. The water that flowed over her head was refreshing after so many days without bathing. The scented soap that sat in the shower calmed her physically as she used it.

When she had dried off, she finally slipped into the dress. It fit nearly perfectly, and she put on her shoes to go out into the common room after wringing out her hair and putting it in a bun.

Findis, Glorfindel, and Indis had all disappeared when she came out into the main room. Only Lalwen sat there, waiting for her.

“Where did everyone else go?” Míril asked in surprise.

“Outside.” Lalwen gestured for Míril to sit down. “Come, I must speak with you.”

Míril hesitated. Eventually she walked over and sat in a chair across from Lalwen. What did she want?

“Míril Fëanoriel,” Lalwen smiled sadly. “I would be lying if I said I was friendly to your namesake.” Míril didn't respond so she continued. “I traveled to Middle Earth with my brother Fingolfin.”

“Really my lady?” Míril was surprised. “Why were you not recorded in the histories?”

“I never got there.” She frowned. “I died in the Helcaraxë, alongside Elenwë my niece.”

Míril was shocked. “My lady, I am so sorry.”

“I spent many years in the Halls, listening to the tales the Weavers would tell me about the War.” She began to pace. “I longed for the days when I was outside in the light of Valinor.”

“When did they release you?” Míril asked quietly.

“About a hundred years ago,” Lalwen told her. She stopped and looked at Míril. “Tell me, Miril Fëanoriel, why should any son of Fëanor be released when someone like me had to suffer so long? Maglor had been in the Halls for a mere 25 years before they released him!”

Míril was at a loss for words but finally continued. “He helped me retrieve the Silmaril, my lady. He is the reason the jewel is here!”

“But why should they release Maedhros?” She balled her fist. “Why?”

“What?” Míril was stunned. “They are releasing him?”

“No, I make sure of that.” she glared. Suddenly her face softened. “Unless you can convince me otherwise.”

“Me my lady?” She was surprised yet again.

“You are the only elf to have spoken to him, other than Míriel, since he entered the Halls.” Lalwen sent her a pleading look. “Give me a reason why he should be released.”

“Clearly you don't want to release him,” Míril sighed sadly.

Lalwen shook her head on the verge of tears. “I want to get rid of the pain I feel, the anger.”

Míril thought about this. She went back through her conversation with Maedhros and nodded to herself. “The thing he regrets most is hurting his mother.”

Suddenly Lalwen stopped her pacing and sat down. “What?”

“Nerdanel. He wishes to make peace with his mother,” Míril told the elf maiden.

Lalwen burst into tears all of a sudden as Indis walked back inside. For Lalwen knew the pain Maedhros was suffering. She had hurt her own mother when she and her brother had left Valinor. Suddenly the pain Maedhros was going to her was made real to Lalwen.

Indis hugged her daughter before Lalwen fled the room. Míril was completely lost, but when she looked at Indis, she understood.

“She wanted a reason to forgive?” Míril surmised.

Indis gave a small smile. “Indeed. This has been troubling her for many years now, ever since Maglor’s release. I urged her to see Nienna, but she refused.”

“I am pleased I was able to help,” Míril nodded then paused. “However I did that.”

“You made her realize Maedhros was just an elf, deep down. An elf whose father was a poor influence, and whose mother loved him very much.” Indis took her by the hand. “Come, child. It is time you left. Glorfindel will guide you to your friends.”

She walked outside with Indis to find the sun rising slowly in the East. Míril smiled at the light yellow light that shone across the pale blue sky. It was time to return to Ilmarin.