Chapter 20

April's P.O.V

Brian was driving and my mother was in the passenger seat while I was in the back. And their hands kept playing constantly... grrrr! I know I'll have to get used to it, but it will certainly take time.

I wonder if it was the same with my father. Maybe it was much worse. But I don't think I would have reacted the same way. I think you can't blame me for thinking about my parents being together. Anyone would think about it, right?

A few minutes later Brian stopped in front of a large house and pressed a button to open the garage door. The house looked pretty cool.

My mother got out and waited for me before entering the house. She had a big smile on her face and seemed more excited than me.

Brian shook his head at her silly and cheerful face and walked in first. I followed right after him with her behind me.

And wow ... They have a beautiful house. I mean, seriously... They have a beeeautiful house. Everything was so well decorated and looked so comfortable.
The garage door gave entrance to the kitchen, and it looked like a TV set... I know my mother loves this place. But we didn't spend much time there.

Soon we were in the living room. There was a large sofa and a big TV there and two paintings on the wall, and also a carpet matching the sofa.

I was just randomly looking around when my eyes stopped at pictures that were mixed with the decor. Many of them had the same people I had seen before at my mother's house in New York, but there were more pictures of her with Brian. And then a smile covered my face when I saw a picture of me with my aunt among other pictures.

I think my mother realized where I was looking at when she walked closer to me.

BEYONCÉ
"I made Solange give me that, since most of your photos are with her now. And I wanted a picture of her too."

APRIL
"I like that picture."

BEYONCÉ
(Smiles)
"...Me too."

BRIAN
"Well... I really have to work tomorrow, so I'll call it a night now."
(Walking closer to April)
"It was great to meet you April. I know it will be strange at first, but I hope that in time we can become great friends. "
(Smiles)
"Good night baby."
(Kisses B )

BEYONCÉ
"I'll be there in a minute."

BRIAN
"Oh, April... Please feel at home. After all, it's really your house too."

I smiled shyly at him as he turned around and walked into a hallway.

APRIL
"This house is huge."

BEYONCÉ
(Smiles)
"Well, my house in New York was just for me alone. When I moved to Houston Brian and I already had plans, so we thought it would be better if we had a bigger house. And Brian is used to sophisticated things. I just couldn't argue with that."

APRIL
"It's pretty cool."

BEYONCÉ
"I'm glad you like it here. I really want you to feel at home. "

APRIL
(Smiles)

BEYONCÉ
"Well, I think we better go to sleep. I'm a little tired and I want to enjoy the day tomorrow."

APRIL
"Yeah, me too."

She walked into the hallway and I followed her, until we stopped at a door and she entered the room.

BEYONCÉ
"You can spend the night here."

Like the one in New York, it also looked like a guest room, but more sophisticated. This one even had a TV. I can't blame Brian for liking sophisticated things. I sure can get used to that too.

BEYONCÉ
"Why don't you brush your teeth and go to bed? There's always extra toothbrush in the bathroom, if you need it. "
"I'll be back."

APRIL
"Okay."

***

Beyoncé's P.O.V

I was a little torn about how to feel. On one hand I was very happy to have my daughter for the first time in this house. But then I was mad 'cause the night didn't go as I expected. And thanks to one person ... SHAWN!

I walked slowly to my room and I saw Brian changing. He had his back to me and no shirt on. I ran my hands through his back and hugged him before kissing his shoulder.

BEYONCÉ
(Takes a deep breath)
"That wasn't the night that I planned."

BRIAN
"It was okay."

BEYONCÉ
"It was a disaster!"

BRIAN
(Turns around and hugs her)
"It wasn't that bad."

BEYONCÉ
"My plan was to introduce you to my family."
"... Not for that kid, to try and turn the dinner into some kind of comedy show."

BRIAN
(Laughs)
"Maybe the dinner would have been much worse without him. April hardly spoke a word and your sister hardly spoke two. "
"We'd been up there with an awkward silence sitting at the table with us."
"And April at least seemed to be enjoying..."

BEYONCÉ
"I didn't like that either, it was very rude."
"It was disrespectful to you and it would be to any other person. I don't want my daughter acting like that."
"And she wouldn't ... if that kid wasn't there. She becomes a different person when he's around and I don't like it."

BRIAN
"Calm down, baby."
(Kisses her)
"He was just trying to annoy you and he definitely did."
"I just went along to prevent a big scene and April ending up leaving the table irritated."
"It wouldn't be good."

BEYONCÉ
"Yeah... thank you for that. But I still don't like what happened."

BRIAN
"Look on the bright side... April is here with us now."

BEYONCÉ
(Smiles)
"That was a great idea. It was the best thing about my night."

BRIAN
"I knew it would help to put that beautiful smile back where it belongs."
(Kisses her)

BEYONCÉ
"Did I tell you I love you?"

BRIAN
"Yeah... but I never get tired of hearing it."

BEYONCÉ
"I love you."

I gave him a long kiss on the lips before I let him go to sleep.

BEYONCÉ
(Takes a deep breath)
"Now I have to talk to her..."

BRIAN
"Take it easy."

BEYONCÉ
"I'll try."
"Good night!"

BRIAN
"Good night!"

I walked back to the room where April was and I was prepared to do something very hard, but very necessary.

I knocked on the door and I walked in before I even got an answer. April was climbing on the bed and I walked up to her with a serious expression on my face.

BEYONCÉ
(Sits on the bed)
"Now... we need to talk ..."

APRIL
"...About the dinner?"

BEYONCÉ
"Yes."

APRIL
"Are you mad?"

BEYONCÉ
"...A little."

APRIL
"Mom, I know you don't like Shawn very much and sometimes he makes too many jokes. But if I have to get used to the fact that Brian is part of your life. I think you could get used to Shawn being part of mine."

BEYONCÉ
"I don't really like the way Shawn acts, but... I can accept that he is your friend. And I won't interfere with that."
"Since you understand that you don't need to and won't act like him."
"Shawn is a child in a man's body. And I definitely don't want you going around acting like a stupid child... like him."

APRIL
(Angry)
"Shawn is not stupid!"
"You're just mad because we didn't welcome your man with a red carpet!"

BEYONCÉ
(Angry)
"April!"
"I'm mad because you acted with disrespect and rudeness and I won't accept you acting like that towards Brian or anyone else."
"And I won't sit here discussing my opinion of Shawn with you. You won't act like him, period."

APRIL
"Now you will say what you want, but won't hear what I have to say?"

BEYONCÉ
"I'll hear what you have to say when you're acting like the big and smart girl you are, and not like a rude kid."

She made an angry face and crossed her arms over her chest as she stared at the opposite side turning her back to me.
I know the last thing I should do now is laugh, but I can't help it. She used to do this when she was little and I always thought it was so cute.

I stretched my arm and tried to touch her, but she pushed her arm quickly away.

BEYONCÉ
"See... you're acting like a baby now."

APRIL
"I'm not..."

BEYONCÉ
"Yes, you are..."

I slowly started tickling her and she was trying not to laugh... but she couldn't hold it for too long.

APRIL
(Laughing)
"Okay, stop!"

BEYONCÉ
(Laughing)
"Will you still act like a baby?"

APRIL
"No, I'm sorry."

BEYONCÉ
"Okay."

At this point she was lying on the bed and I was beside her. We stayed there looking at one another for a few minutes before I broke the silence.

BEYONCÉ
"You want me to stay here with you?"

APRIL
"No, I'll be fine this time."

BEYONCÉ
"Are you sure?"

APRIL
"Yeah..."

BEYONCÉ
"Okay, my room is down the hall, if you need me."

APRIL
(Nods)

BEYONCÉ
"Good night!"
(Kisses April)
"I love you."

APRIL
"I love you too."

I walked slowly out of the room while she sat on the bed.
I was afraid that it would end in a bad way. I hate that my daughter got mad at me because of that boy. But fortunately it didn't last long.

I returned to my room and laid down next to Brian.

BRIAN
(Sleepy)
"How was it?"

BEYONCÉ
"Better than I imagined..."

BRIAN
(Smiles)
"That's good."

I smiled and gave him a long kiss.

BRIAN
"Mmm... this is very good."

BEYONCÉ
(Laughs)

***

April's P.O.V

The bed was so comfortable that I almost didn't want to get up in the morning. Took me a few minutes to finally make it happen.
I slept like an angel... after thinking for almost an hour about everything that happened.

I know I shouldn't have gotten mad at my mom. Deep down I knew she was right, and I couldn't expect her to be happy with my behavior. In any other situation, my aunt would have said something too. I just got a little irritated to think about how she quickly took Brian's side. And I wondered if it would be like that every time.

But then I thought about it and I have to confess. He ended up dealing with the situation very well. He could have gotten mad and argued with Shawn or even gotten up and left, but he just stood there acting like everything was okay. I think he deserved my mom's support at the end.

But then what really made me happy was to see how she and I couldn't stay 5 minutes mad at each other. It's amazing how we managed to build this kind of relationship in such a short time. Every day I spend with her I feel happier to have her back.

I got up and walked to the bathroom to get ready for another day with her and I know it will be great.

APRIL
(Enters the kitchen)

BEYONCÉ
(Smiles)
"Good morning."
"I was anxious for you to get up. I made you something that used to be your favorite..."

APRIL
"What??"

A smile completely covered her face as she took a plate on the sink. My mouth fell open when she showed me ... I remember that!

APRIL
"...Red Velvet Cookies?"

BEYONCÉ
"You remember that?"

APRIL
"Yes, I don't know how, but I do."

BEYONCÉ
"You loved it for breakfast."

APRIL
(Sits at the table eating a cookie)
"...Mom."

BEYONCÉ
"Yes?"

APRIL
"How did you learn how to cook so many different things?"

BEYONCÉ
"Our neighbor was a baker. As we got to know each other better, she taught me many things. I learned how to cook many things, not only sweets, but that was the majority."
"When you were two, I started working for her in the bakery she had."

APRIL
"Wow, so you were like a baker?"

BEYONCÉ
"Almost, I helped in the kitchen."

APRIL
"Now I'm sure I'll gain too much weight."

BEYONCÉ
(Laughs)
"So what do you want to do today?"

APRIL
"I don't know, I could spend the day sitting here and yet I know it would be fun..."

BEYONCÉ
(Smiles)
"We can get in the pool if you want..."

APRIL
"You guys have a pool?"

BEYONCÉ
"Yes... Brian is used to things that most are not."
"And as I said before I felt no need to argue with that."
"It took me a while to get used to the fact that Brian's family is very rich."

APRIL
"Are they?"

BEYONCÉ
"Yes, and I owe them a lot. They helped me through a very difficult time. They are great people and it just makes me more sure that there is no better person than Brian to be by my side."

APRIL
"He... he seems a nice guy..."

BEYONCÉ
"And he is."

APRIL
(Nods)

BEYONCÉ
"I have an idea ... finish your breakfast while I get dressed. I want to take you somewhere."