Chapter XCVI

Everything fell to silence for a moment and I saw the light blue of the sky grow yellowish it was hard to not screech from the pain as my heart tumbled inside of me making all kind of erratic noises while Henry and his man searched for me, my foot...

Everything fell to silence for a moment and I saw the light blue of the sky grow yellowish it was hard to not screech from the pain as my heart tumbled inside of me making all kind of erratic noises while Henry and his man searched for me, my foot throbbed like pans bumping into each other and in my body there were so many noises it was hard to connect to the silence, to feel like everything would be alright.

"Alice?" It was Henry's voice the horses I heard galloping stopped and the leaves rustled, "Alice come out and I swear to you no harm."

"Hmm," I mumbled under my breath.

"Alice do not make me lose my patience, as you've seen this is not the day to trifle with me!" He kept on shouting hoping to make me come out.

"She is close sir I will go look this way." The man that was with him assured of my whereabouts and I was too close for comfort where they could easily find me if I ran, but if I stayed what chance of survival did I have?

"What are you waiting for?"

"You do understand this will cost you more than what we talked about, after this I will have to be on the run."

"Are you trying to threaten me?"

Then a loud shot was fired and I covered my ears turning my body into a protective shell when Henry's man fell not too far from me and I got up thinking now I had a chance to rub but as soon as I got up Henry grabbed me by the throat.

"No, no, no," I was taken hostage by Henry.

"Who's there? Show yourself!" Henry talked to someone even though there was only two of us, was he hallucinating?

"Let go of me Henry!"

"I will put a bullet through her if you do not show yourself! I swear I will!"

As I saw Henry was probably in some insane state of mind I did what I had to do to survive his attack and took the knife slipped underneath my nightgown and stabbed it into Henry's neck, once he let go of the gun I picked it up from his hand.

"No you won't, you will never hurt me or anyone I love ever again you demon."

One precise shot into his head he fell back dead as every man will be one day and I dismounted into a loud piercing cry.

"Oh! God! Oh!" I sobbed and then arms surrounded my stomach lifting me up from the floor and just as I thought I was the one hallucinating I looked to see it was Mr. Howard arms; he had shot Henry's man with his gun that was on the floor.

"Alice it's alright I am here."

Mr. Howard snatched me away into his arms until I could tell from a distance we were back at the house and the day had fully dawned leaving no traces of darkness in the nearby forest.

"My mother, Mr. Howard my mother," I repeated in shock.

"Shhh Alice, you are going home and everything will be fine," Mr. Howard tried to soothe me with a kiss on the head until he got in to the house where the staff was all in a frenzy of horror surrounding my mother.