The Man With Evil Plans (6)

~LOKI~

Everything was in motion.

I crouched in front of the long electric fence circling the S.H.I.E.L.D compound, the green and black color of my clothes helping me blend in. Agents milled around the building, answering calls or hurrying to meetings. A few large, flying vehicles called "planes" were parked on the asphalt half a mile away from the building. This was going to be hard.

I carefully opened a map of the building I'd stolen from an empty S.H.I.E.L.D car. It seemed that all the major power sources were located in the largest section of the compound inside a huge, heavily-guarded hanger that used to store jets.

Biting my lip in concentration, I scanned the compound for the telltale gap in patrols that would be my way in. My palms itched in anticipation. I backed off into the bush as a massive black car rumbled past the fence, but otherwise I was undisturbed.

On instinct, I made a habit of glancing over my shoulder. If it was really him who was hunting me, I would have to be checking behind me as often as possible.

Suddenly, I sprang to my feet and charged across the empty field, my jacket flowing behind me like a comet's tail. I hadn't regained enough of my power to make myself invisible, so I was bound to be noticed eventually. Sure enough, I heard shouts of alarm and loud honks as I tore across the grounds and straight at the science complex. The ground was uneven and I almost lost footing, but the fear of being tortured was stronger than the fear of tripping.

And then I touched town on solid pavement. Now the agents had a good look at my face, and very soon the air was ripe with screams and frantic engines revving. A few gunshots were fired, but most of the humans were just scrambling to get out of my way. S.H.I.E.L.D. hadn't fired at me from their guns stationed on the roof, most likely because they weren't used to being attacked by lone men.

A savage smile spread across my face as I payed the agents no attention. They weren't a threat. Yet.

Without a second thought, I charged toward a huge window and broke through it easily.

It had begun.

~~~~

~CAROL~

1148 hours.

"So what exactly were his powers?"

Mike jerked and cursed under his breath, shooting me a glare to keep me quiet. Most of the people at the base knew about the Psych-Magnetron thing by now, but Mike still hated getting weird looks a week after the incident.

"Can we talk about this later, Care?" he begged.

"No," I said flatly. After waking up with glowing hands and nearly incinerating my couch the day before, I wasn't really in the mood for an argument.

"Look, can I tell you when my shift's over?"

"Man, it's ten minutes till lunch, and we're in a cubicle all by ourselves. No one's going to hear."

"Are you kidding?" he retorted. "This is S.H.I.E.L.D we're talking about. They hear everything."

"So then you'll give away nothing new, since you already told those interrogators everything." I crossed my arms and tried to do that intimidating stare I'd seen a few of the senior agents give.

He held my gaze for awhile, then quickly glanced around at all the cameras. He collapsed back into his roller chair and sighed, "Alright. I'm mostly finished anyway."

I flashed him a grateful smile and sat down on his desk, facing him.

"Okay," he started, sending a few more nervous glances around the small cubicle. "Well, first, he had super strength."