[ 1 ] Chapter One

Start from the beginning

"He didn't hurt you anywhere, right?" She asked, worry coating her words.

"No, I'm perfectly fine. I've would've been fine even if he had hit me."\

"Stop talking nonsense." Her arms wrapped around me, strong and tight. The comfort of her arms allowed me to let out a heavy sigh, releasing the fear I had had trapped inside.

When she let me go, she was smiling brightly, taking ahold of my backpack which had fallen off my shoulder onto the ground. "Let's go get something to eat and talk before Jasper starts to wonder where I went."

We stopped by my locker so I could grab my books for the second half of the day. Alice had said something funny to me, so when I turned my combination and opened my locker, I'd forgotten to brace myself.

A sea of colorful papers tumbled out of the space, covering the ground at my feet. I bent down and picked a page up, unfolding it slowly. Written in red were the words 'GO AWAY LOSER' in upper case letters. I crumpled it and tossed it into the garbage at the end of the lockers.

Alice had picked up a different one and unfolded it, one of her hands flying to cover her mouth. "Oh my,"

With my arms full of the notes, I looked at Alice. "It's alright. Can you help me clean these up?"

She nodded, and together in silence we cleaned up the mess and made out way to the lunch room. When we walked in, she suddenly stopped, letting out a sigh. Frowning she said to me, "Sorry, they want me to go over right away,"

I smiled, "It's okay. We can meet up some other time. See you later Alice!" I gave a half-hearted wave before I fell into step behind the other students in the lunch line.

After getting my lunch, I searched the room for my only other friends, Gabriella (who we call Ariel) and Anna. Ariel and I had been friends in Middle School and Ariel met Anna at some party over the summer.

"Hey guys, how are your days going?" I asked at I took the open seat beside Anna.

"Just lovely. We had a big Soc. test that lasted the entire hour. And Mr. Welton wouldn't let us listen to music either, which made time go by even slower." Ariel continued to ramble about her day, so I decided to turn my attention to Anna, repeating my question to her.

"Mine's been boring as usual. The most exciting thing that happened was one of the guys in our science class set his shirt on fire, but the teacher put it out right away. I could've watched him squirm for a few more minutes." She grinned, reclining in her chair.

"Sounds much more fun than my morning." I took a bite of my apple, glancing over at Alice's table on the other end of the cafeteria. She was sitting with her boyfriend Jasper and the rest of her family. I knew that all of them were adopted, hence their closeness in age, but there wasn't a chance any of them were actually related to each other. Not when they look so different from each other. There was also something...not human about them.

I know Forks isn't exactly the sunniest place on earth, but we do get sun from time to time, which doesn't explain why they're so pale or cold. I figured that, maybe, since they missed a fair amount of school, they must go to the mountains. That's the only reason I could think of.

Another thought I had at one point was a joke, but everything had fit. When I was in Middle School, I had this supernatural kick where everything I read had something to do with some unnatural creatures from the shadows, including vampires. Every description I had ever read about vampires fit all of them perfectly. I was just kidding myself, but it was scary how well the pieces had fit together.

Ariel was ranting on about one of her elective classes. I found myself zoning out, staring off towards the double doors at the end of the lunch room. That's when I noticed Mrs. Lynn, one of the office ladies, rushing in and looking around frantically. Her eyes were filled with urgency as she looked from table to table, looking for someone.

I watched, amused, as she started forward, then pulled herself back multiple times. Her gaze had made it to our end of the room now, and she was starting to look desperate. Finally, her eyes landed at my table, meeting my eyes. Her eyes widened and started to us.

My body sat up straight in the chair. I could feel my heart pounding hard in my chest. Maybe it's not me, maybe she wants Ariel. Or Ann.

She walked up to our table, her eyes still locked with mine. "Mirabelle, you need to come with me. Now."

"O-okay," I stood up, grabbing my bag. My legs were shaking, but I was still able to follow Mrs. Lynn.

As we were walking out, I could hear the juniors snickering at me, but I was too scared to care. When we arrived at the office, I saw Mrs. Cope working on her computer, trying to occupy herself with something that looked important. She kept typing when Mr. Welton walked into the room and looked at me. He told me to sit down. And I did.

"W-what's going on?" I asked, my voice shaking like the rest of me.

He took a deep breath as sadness filled his eyes. I could tell by his reaction to my question that he wasn't taking any pleasure in telling me what he wanted to, and that he wished he wasn't the one who had to do it. He sat down on the seat next to me and could barely look me in the eyes.

"We just received some devastating news." He finally exhaled in one breath. He started to fiddle with his fingers as he knew that wasn't all he wanted to say.

"Well, what is it?" I asked looking back and forth between Mr. Welton and Mrs. Cope trying to figure out what was going on. He took another breath and tilted his head to look at my face. I wanted to yell at him to spit it out already, but held back.

"Your parents..." He stopped for a moment to gather his emotions. I could tell he didn't want to say it, but had to force himself to. "They died in a car crash this afternoon. A semi wasn't watching and ran a red light, directly hitting them."

I stared at him, my entire body motionless. The words were processing through my brain but my body didn't understand. I stared at Mr. Welton for what felt like at least a few minutes before he shook my shoulders and asked if I could hear him.

That's when it hit me.

Hard.

I realized I would never see my mom and dad – ever again. I was all alone in the world. It's too early to live on my own. I don't even know how to cook real food.

It was all over.

My life has finally hit a dead end and I'm never turning around to go back and take a different route.

I started to cry and I didn't stop for half an hour at the least. I've never cried so hard in my whole life. It scared me so much that I couldn't control myself. Mrs. Lynn came over and told me, "Don't worry. We'll help you out in every way we can. There's one very important question I have to ask you. We were looking through your records, but there wasn't any secondary number or anything that indicated any other family. Do you have any relative at all that you could go live with?"

Through the tears and masses of thoughts that were running through my head, I had to think this over carefully. If I say no, where will I go? Will I stay with one of the teachers? Will I go live with a foster family? And what is I say yes? Then what? Go live in my empty house?

I chose the easier answer. "Yes. Yeah, I have somewhere I can stay."

"And where's that sweetheart?"

"My grandmother. She lives in Forks, on the border between here and La Push." I lied, of course.

"Okay, do you need a ride over there or anything from your house?"

"N-no! I mean, I can walk there. It's not that far." That wasn't a lie. I've been walking home from school since mom let me walk across the streets alone.

"Are you sure?" She pushed, seeming very concerned about me.

"Yes, I'm sure," I nodded, wiping away the tears. "I'm okay, really."

What had I gotten myself into?