One

Madeline's POV- October 2016

"I hate that you can afford to miss school to watch a baseball game"

My mom and I would be attending Game 3 and 4 of the NLDS, Dodgers/Nationals series.

"You don't even like baseball, and I've told you many times that you need to learn how to manage your time" I stated.

A light hum was heard.

"You've told me many times, but I've chosen to ignore it"

I smiled and shook my head at her when my best friend, Alexandria shrugged.

"So when do you start conditioning?"

I scrunched up my nose as I adjusted my glasses.

"You know I'm not good with dates" I argued as I heard a loud cackle.

"It's why you have an agenda"

I was currently catching up with a childhood friend.

"How are you doing in school?" I asked as I reached for my planner.

She sighed making me glance up at the screen of my laptop to see her shaking her head.

"I talked with my advisor"

I hummed signaling that I was listening as I turned the page of my planner.

"I have to take another year"

"That's not to bad" I told her.

She frowned.

"It's normal to take a fifth year" I stated.

"This is why I keep you around, you always make me feel better about my life decisions"

She took last school year off in order to go to Switzerland with her mom and brother. 

"It's normal to take a gap year from school, Alex" I reasoned.

"You didn't take one"

"True, but I wish I had" I admitted.

"Instead you chose to double major"

I was double majoring in Nursing and Public Health. 

"I always forget how not normal you are"

I smiled.

"You're bestfriends with this not normal person" I sassed.

"I wouldn't have it any other way"

Alexandria and I met on the first day of Pre-K when our teacher assigned our seats. We sat next to each other because of our last names, hers being Matthews and mines being Martinez. From then on until third grade we had the same teacher and sat either next to each other or with one or two classmates between us. My parents finalized their divorce and my mom got full custody of me. Shortly after my 9th birthday, mom packed up our stuff and we moved to California without dad. I spent the school year with my mom, and summer with my dad. Major holidays were to be switched up meaning if I spent Christmas with one parent I would spend it with the other the following year. Both of them remarried, and had a family of their own as well. 

"Where are you spending Thanksgiving?"

"Here in LA" I answered.

She pouted.

"I spent it in Arizona last year" I said.

"I wasn't home for Thanksgiving last year!"

My dad was a bit thrilled that Alex wasn't home because that meant we could have some father/daughter bonding.