7•what are you running from?

Chapter Seven: What are you running from?
song: not a second time • the beatles

Chapter Seven: What are you running from?song: not a second time • the beatles

London, England • Old Mary's pub
1968

It was 1968. The year that The Beatles released their rock sensation 'Hey Jude'. The year of the Grosvenor protest against the Vietnam war, leading to 91 people being injured and 200 arrested. The year the 10 pence and 5 pence coins were introduced and the year that the infamous Kray brothers - Ronald and Reggie Kray - were arrested, accused of murder, fraud, blackmail and assault.

It's also the year that Sophia Dawson and James Conrad met, but compared with what else went down in Britain that year, the meeting of two individuals is minuet. The meeting took place in Old Mary's Pub in London, England - 5 months before they would be commissioned to America and then to Vietnam around 2 months later.

Yet right now - on that day in 1968 - Sophia and James were just strangers on the street. They weren't partners, weren't fighting for their lives on a 'deserted' island and weren't hiding their feelings for each other and failing miserably. They were soldiers, and one of them was late.

A hooded figure walked through the dingy, wet ally ways of North London, England. Sophia was late, which was an odd and rare occurrence for her, which was why she was picking up speed as she walked through the familiar streets.

Dodging drunk strangers, she rounded the corner, jogging across the street as a car zoomed past her - sending a wave of puddle water up the back of her legs. Cursing, Sophia shook her legs and walked up the street, keeping furthest away from the kerb.

Sliding across the wall so the passing cars wouldn't drench her again, Sophia finally found the pub. She opened the door and rushed in, pulling down her hood as curious eyes wafted down to her and she danced hers across the room, trying to find the men waiting for her. After a couple of seconds of helplessly looking around the busy, smoke filled, noise humming pub, Sophia found her lieutenant sitting in front of a mousy blonde male.

The male was wearing a loose brown button up shirt that was rolled up around his elbows. He was sipping on a pint, and although he had a calm and collected aura, Sophia could tell that he was completely out of place. She moved through the crowds and once she neared the men, she overheard their conversation. 

"Why are we meeting in a pub?" The male - known as James Conrad (Sophia had read his file) - asked and lieutenant Parker replied with:
"Because it's easy to access, everyone knows where the Old Mary's is-"
"And you just want to drink a pint while you talk about aiding the Americans" Sophia cut in, grinning as Parker stood up from his seat.
"Dawson" he grinned and Sophia stopped before him, saluting out of respect and she felt Conrad stand up.