"I didn't mean it," Harshad mumbled to himself. 

____________________

Rishi struggled to keep that expert face on as Nandini returned with 37th dress. It was again a dress, well, they all looked same. Rishi had whatsoever no knowledge about these cocktail dresses but then his baby sister had never asked his opinion before. He was feeling most important person all of sudden. He needed to deliver no matter what. 

"This one is a bit too girly," Rishi said unsure and Nandini clicked her fingers. 

"Exactly," She said. 

For the first time in history of Murthy sibling-hood, they were agreeing way too frequently. And Rishi was getting more nervous with each passing agreement. It was like they could go on and on criticizing their mother's taste.  

"You should have told me before Nandu, I would have asked Gracie to help you out," Rishi uttered being not able to help Nandini. 

"Manik asked me yesterday only," Nandini replied absentmindedly. 

"So cadet is back in war-zone," Rishi quipped making Nandini all sort of uncomfortable. 

"Kinda," She replied awkwardly and then ran to grab 38th dress. 

Rishi heard her swearing and he chuckled. It was kind of cute to help out your sister in this hour of need. 

"There must be something," He shouted and she cursed further. She was out of his sight but her not so humble words weren't. 

"Besides, you look good in everything you wear," He added genuinely and she laughed. Rishi laughed as well hearing her faint chuckles. 

"I swear I would wear oversize sweater if I don't find a dress," She yelled and Rishi shook his head. 

"Promise me you won't laugh at this one," She asked without coming in front of camera. 

"Why would I?" Rishi laughed and She hurled some nasty abuses his way. 

"I had bought this one a year back when mom had forced me to learn how to shop like a lady," She said sitting on chair. 

"Show me," Rishi asked and she picked up something stretching her limb. 

Both stayed silent as Rishi examined that dress like a fashionista. 

"This is it," Rishi stamped it and Nandini smiled in relief. 

__________________________

 Manik rang the doorbell for second time. Aroma of something delicious was alibiing how Mrs Singh was inside. Mrs Singh took the door and Manik smiled nervously. She examined the dressed up boy with a proud glint while Manik went on self conscious mode. 

"You look dashing, my boy," She replied and Manik sighed in relief. 

"Come in," She gave him way and he walked in. 

He was still unsure how he was going to ask her to lend him their car but he needed luck tonight. He didn't want to screw anything. He was glad how Colonel Singh was already gone for a small get together with his colleagues. At least, he could be a little less awkward while doing all the heroic stunts. 

___

Putting her wavy hair on shoulder, she got up only to ruin her lipstick by biting her lower lip yet again. Getting ready like a girl was difficult, she was already irked. She looked at clock. It indicated 6 in evening. She still had 10 minutes before that punctual man reaches there. He had called and left a message for her. She was already amused that Manik was being in charge here. She somehow liked the feel.