44. the last one.

chapter forty-four:
the last one.

Here's the thing; I don't like April, I don't like what she's capable of, and I certainly don't like what she's caused between Luke and I, but I have to admit- the girl can lie.

"We know you're not pregnant, April."

"Wanna cut me open and see?"

That's literally how the entire conversation went. And usually I would have left, way before she had the chance to fake contractions or whatever with the flattest stomach in existence, but I didn't. I stayed, and I folded my arms, and I watched as Luke rolled his eyes, and I waited for my anger to subside.

"Why did you do it?" I asked.

"Do what? Get pregnant?" she shot back.

"Why did you lie about getting pregnant?"

"Why are you asking me why I'm lying about being pregnant?"

I'd heard the 'p' word so many times that night that by the end of it, I was just about ready to explode. Luke and I came home that evening absolutely exhausted; we got April to admit it, yes, but not without a fight. We ended up getting screeched at to leave her apartment after spending an entire three hours trying to get through to the girl.

"Well, at least now we know she's baby-free," Michael had said, rolling the tinted windows down as Luke and I climbed into the truck. I puffed my cheeks out, settled my back against the seat, and tried to slow my heartrate as Luke gripped my hand.

"She's a lot of things." I grumbled.

We sped down the motorway, the car barely getting by yet proving it's function as it got us back home before seven. We broke the news to everyone- and for some reason, as if it was a physical hurdle we had to face- we were congratulated.

"To Mr and Mrs Soon-To-Be-Hemmings," Bailey had burped, raising her glass for a toast despite downing half of it already. "For exposing the psycho!"

I tried to brush off the Mr and Mrs, hoping nobody else would pick upon it. I think Luke did, too; his gaze quickly swivelled in my direction before flittering away again.

"Bailey," Chloe raised an eyebrow, obviously unhappy with the somewhat crude statement. Bailey just rolled her eyes.

"For uncovering the truth about the liar," she said, much more carefully the second time around. She then raised an eyebrow at the blonde. "Better?"

Chloe simply nodded, and we all raised our glasses. And for the first time in a long time, it felt good to drink again.

"You're leaving?" I'd asked that same night, my heart falling to the pit of my stomach as the person on the other line shifted.

I heard a smash, then a curse, then a sigh. A sigh I knew all too well, for it was the same sound I'd hear every night whenever I asked for another shot.

"I thought Ashley told you already," Chase chuckled, though he sounded pained himself. It wasn't like the guy had no heart. He had a dark sense of humour, much like Bailey, but he was loyal to the very end. "I've got enough money saved."