05. the one where kinky april is a mystery.

chapter five:
the one where kinky april is a mystery.

I had to leave work early after being told by Ashton that I needed a break, not that I'm complaining at all. I'm actually very grateful for the fact that I won't have to go near another coffee machine until my next shift on Tuesday.

Luke and I went out to watch a movie, some cheap production playing in the cinema because we had nothing better to do and him and the guys apparently knew the girl who worked there, resulting in free tickets for us.

I've come to notice lately that the boys know a lot of people; mainly girls like April, who wore all the colours of the rainbow with some pretty odd stuff written on the back, and Carleigh; the girl who handed us the tickets and asked Luke how Calum was doing in the process. I didn't bother to press on or ask her how she knew him- or any of the guys, for that matter. I just assumed they were all in the same college classes, but then I realized that the boys I called my best friends were all twenty-four and fresh out of Uni, so I scrapped that idea and let the dreaded unknown nag at me for the rest of the film.

When we got back to the apartment, after a short walk down canal, it was nearing 6pm. I knew Luke was growing antsy to get to where he usually disappeared off to, but even so he made sure to walk me to the front door; something about not being able to have a sound mind until he was positive I'd gotten home safe.

"Look at you," Ashley had smirked, peering over at me from the couch as soon as I crashed through the door. I had a dazed smile on my face after bidding Luke goodbye for the night, and if it wasn't obvious before then it surely was now. "Little Miss Daydream."

"Little Miss what?" I repeated, taking my jacket off before hanging it up next to the door. Kicking my shoes off, I looked over at my three best friends seated around the coffee table; arms folded with smiles on their faces. "And why are you all looking at me like that?"

"You were on a date!" Bailey shouted, slapping the empty seat on the couch next to her. My eyes widened a little at her sudden outburst.

"What? No, I wasn't,"

"You're doing the Date Smile," Chloe stated, a knowing look on her face. It didn't help that my smile unintentionally grew just by the tone of her voice. "There it is!"

"Well, sit down and tell us everything," Ashley said, running over to grab me by the hand. She lead me to the couch, where Bailey shuffled to the side in order to make some room, before plopping me down on it. "And when I say everything, I mean everything."

"It wasn't a da-"

"Is he cute?" Chloe interrupted, resting her head dreamily on her hand.

"How tall?" Bailey questioned, wringing her own fingers together.

"Where did you guys go?"

"Colour of his hair?"

"How old is he?"

"And how thick?" Ashley finally piped up, and the room fell silent as I raised an eyebrow at her. "What? I'm talking about his wallet."

"I'm not. Give me digits, both girth and inches, I have the right to know." Bailey demanded, making me grimace in response.

"Okay, first of all, no," I said, pushing her away slightly, before reluctantly turning to the other two girls. "And like I said before, it wasn't a date. I was with Luke."

"You were what?"

"I was with Lu-"

"No, no, I heard you the first time," Ashley shook her head, a confused frown settling on her face. "Hold on-"