38. the one where it's been a week.

chapter thirty-eight:
the one where it's been a week.

"How long has she been in there for?"

"Fuck knows."

"Shouldn't we do something?"

"Oh, Mike. There are a lot of things you should do,"

"What's that supposed to mean?" I hear Michael's defensive tone.

"Exactly what you think it does."

"You can't possibly be blaming me for this-"

"It was your business," Ashley snaps, yet she does so quietly.

"And it was Luke's penis."

"Oh, right. Play the penis card," Ashley scoffs. I can almost imagine Michael's look of comical disbelief.

"What the f-"

"You guys do know I can hear you, right?" I sniffle, turning on my side to face the wall and bringing half of the duvet with me.

A small silence filled with shuffling feet and exchanged whispers passes, before the door finally creeks open and two silouhettes step inside.

I keep my eyes shut and my tears in, fearing them falling if I so much as peek. "You okay, kid?" Michael asks, very softly.

I almost hate him for speak to me like I'm piece of glass, fragile enough to break, but I can't say that I blame him. I've been a mess since I found out that Luke left and I'm even more of a mess now, despite how all of that happened a little over six days ago.

"Come on, Soph. We're all going out tonight and-"

"I'm fine here." I mumble. Ashley ignores me.

"We're gonna go get a bite to eat, maybe see a film. We can even watch one of those crappy Disney live-actions you love so much!"

"I hear the new Sleeping Beauty's good," Michael plays along.

As much as I hate myself for it, I just can't seem to reach for that type of optimism. "You guys go ahead," I say, rubbing my eyes. "I'll be here when you get back."

"That's the thing, though," Ashley points out, cautiously taking a seat next to me. "You've been cooped up in here for the past six days. That's not good for you, Soph."

"I'm fine." I repeat. Michael frowns. "What?"

"You haven't been eating properly, I've only ever seen you come out to use the bathroom or to shower or to cry in the shower-" Ashley slaps him, eyes squinted. "We're... we're kinda getting worried." Michael finishes truthfully.

"You guys are making a big deal out of nothing."

"We just don't want you to be sad all the time, hun." Ashley says, once again in a tone softer than the one I deserve. "I've never seen you so..."

"So..?"

"So down." she picks her words carefully, alongside her movements. Her hand brushes against my shoulder, squeezing it in a way that is probably supposed to be comforting, but is currently the most patronizing thing I have ever come across.

"I'll be alright," I lie again, shaking her fingers off of me. "I just need some time, that's all."

"You don't have to pretend with us, Soph." Michael says. "We're your friends. We're here to help you."