CHAPTER ONE

“The story of life is quicker than the wink of an eye, the story of love is hello and goodbye...until we meet again” - Jimi Hendrix

“This ceremony is not about saying goodbye to our teachers and friends and family it’s about saying hello to our future it’s about stepping up and showing the world that we are the class of 2012 and we are future!” yelled the valedictorian making the crowd of students, teachers, and parents stand and cheer wildly. “That’s so typical one sentence and they act like god just came down and blessed them all!” Cassy yelled to me over the noise. I nodded not caring to say anything, I wasn’t truly feeling well, and I was waiting for my dad to come get me. I listened to Cassy scream about how bad the school was, and how happy she was to be leaving for college this fall. Suddenly she grabbed my arm “hey look isn’t that your brother?” she asked pointing to where Christian had just pulled up right on the lawn. I smiled and began to run to his truck “Noelle!” he yelled as I threw myself into his arms and he twirled me around. “I missed you so much!” I said when he’d set me down. Now he laughed “I’m away four years and look what happens to you!” he said taking in my new look. I’d changed the beginning of high school, I’d moved on from my bright pink t-shirts and shorts with flip-flops to ripped jeans and tight black tank-tops with thick soled timberland boots. I’d also chopped off all my pretty brown hair so that it hung just half-an inch below ear and died it a darker shade of brown with black and blonde streaks running through it. My biggest change though was my tattoos and piercings I’d gone from having my ears pierced to having my nose, belly button, and tong pierced, with a few hoops added to the top part of my ears, and my silly pen tattoos became permanent on my 16th birthday so I had my mother’s name on the back of my neck and angel wings on back that were only visible when I wore one of my many backless shirts, with a half heart on my right shoulder. And now as I stared at Christian I realized he’d changed as much as I had. He was no longer lanky and awkward but well built and confident. His once dark blonde hair was now so light it looked white and he looked more tan as if he’d spent years in the desert instead of months. “Well how bout we take off and get some drinks?” he asked giving me his familiar stupid grin. I was just about to agree when a hand was suddenly in mine “Hey Christian long time no see!” said my friend Eric hugging my brother “I just hear you say you’re going to get some drinks?” he asked glancing at me hesitantly. Christian grinned and pointed towards the truck “Yup I got a six pack and Noelle’s favorite Tequila sitting in the back seat.” He said. Eric shook his head “Noelle you really shouldn’t be drinking, I'll be buy your house tomorrow morning around 9 don't worry yourself about it if you don't feel like getting up” He said, then he leaned down, his lips brushing my ear as he whispered "You know he'd have a fucking fit if you drank even a drop while pregnant." before kissing me on the cheek and walking over to his family. Christian scratched his head “Ahh… anyways how bout we ignore the responsible one and continue with the plan?” he asked. I nodded and climbed into the passenger side of his black Lariat. We barely talked on the ride home. Other than for him to say dad had an emergency meeting and wouldn’t be getting back in town until next week so we didn’t have to worry about him yelling at us for drinking. I still stepped as softly as possible when I got inside though out of habit, usually dad would call me into whatever room he was in if he heard me and interrogate me over my grades. As Christian made his way to the back porch I followed stopping in the kitchen to grab a can of soda. Christian, true to form, was already sitting with his feet in the pool and chugging down a beer when I stepped out onto the back porch. He offered me one but I declined and popped open my soda instead sipping on it lightly. We were outside for over an hour talking and laughing. “Okay. What’s going on?” he asked eyeing my can of soda. “Nothing. Why?” I replied cocking my head to the side and trying to look as innocent as possible. “You haven’t touched your tequila and you can’t seem to look at the beers without looking sick. Carmen called me and told me that you've been avoiding having her cook for you, your sick...”  He said while shoving his beer under my nose and nodding when I instantly recoiled. “Just don’t feel like getting wasted.” I muttered glancing down at my can of soda. “This coming from the girl who used to steel beer from Grand-pop’s store every night and force me and the twins to drink with you the summer you learned about it? And what about the other stuff?” I shrugged and cursed our nosy house-keeper and her crush on Christian “I don’t think so. What’s really going on?” he tried to look stern and mirror dad’s angry face but failed miserably making me laugh. “So?” he bumped my shoulder with his. “Promise you won’t be mad okay?” I asked looking down at the pool. “I promise.” He said straightening up and staring at me expectantly. “I-I’m pregnant.” I whispered peeking at him from behind my lashes. “Pregnant? Damn, I should have listened to Carmen. How did this happen Elle your usually so smart about this stuff!” he said looking completely pissed and confused. “I know and I’m sorry but everything happened so fast and I kept thinking of what mom would say if the thought of getting rid this baby ever came out of my mouth…” I trailed of and gave a broken sob. Immediately Christian wrapped his arms around me “Sorry I over reacted just calm down Elle.” He said calmly. After I stopped crying he sighed “What are you going to do?” he asked. I couldn’t help but smile “Go to college have the baby and live my life, by the time dad realizes he’s a grandfather Axel’s bound to be two or three.” I said. “Did you just say Axel?” Christian asked staring at me curiously. Blushing I nodded “Yeah I kind of named him already.” Christian’s eyes narrowed “How do you know it’s a boy?” he asked avoiding the question we both were thinking. “I don’t I just had a feeling.” I said pretty sure my face was deep red. “Do you want me to tell you what I picture when I close my eyes?” I asked hurriedly. My mom used to tell us that if a mother closed her eyes everyday during her pregnancy and pictured her child then that picture is how her child would turn out. Mom had once said that we came out more beautiful than her mind was capable of imagining, but since she was my mother I’d always assumed that was exaggerated. Now though I could see what she meant, I was sure that no matter what I saw when I closed my eyes it would never measure up to the real thing. “Sure.” Christian said glancing at me. I closed my eyes and smiled “I imagine a little boy with eyes dark gray like storm clouds, a smile that would melt an angel, a laugh so full of joy that it makes you wonder whether or not life gets better, and a voice so calm even in anger that’ll make even the devil stop and listen.” I said quietly. Christian sighed “You really would be a great mother Elle.” He said. I smiled and stood up “Well I’m worn out and it’s been a long day.” I said starting towards the back door. "Hey." He called just as I stepped inside. I turned back and he smiled "You should tell Gran and Pop." He said quietly. I laughed "Of course. This baby's being born in Shell Cove." I said moving my hands to my stomach.

I was laying in bed thinking hard on what my baby would look like. I moved my hands to my stomach and smiled "You're going to be beautiful." I whispered.