Chapter 17: Malfunction

Start from the beginning

He then opens the door to the simulation room and Bloom walks in. We all then see her on the screen in the control room. Professor Palladium then goes and sits on the chair in front of the computer. After pushing a few buttons, a virtual rendition of Domino appears all around Bloom. After she looks around at her environment, Bloom reaches in her bag. Kiko, her pet rabbit, then immediately jumps out. She seems really surprised by it. He must've snuck in. Bloom then takes out a few seed and concentrates her magic to sprout some plants.

While she's doing that, the three witches materialize behind her.

"What?"

Flora exclaims.

"What are those three doing here?"

Musa retorts.

"Bloom's in danger!"

Stella screams.

"They shouldn't be able to hurt her, since this is a simulation."

Tecna says, but I still sense a bit of worry in her voice. What are they doing here, indeed? Is it part of the exam? No, it shouldn't be. The three then start attacking Bloom. I won't stand for this! I go up to Professor Palladium.

"Stop the simulation!"

"I'm trying, but it won't respond!"

"Can't you just shut it down?"

"These things don't work that way, Onyx. If I force it shut, we might lose all of the data."

"Who cares about the data when Bloom's in danger?!"

"She's not in danger! The three witches are just as virtual as everything else."

I clench my fists as I see Bloom struggling against them, even after transforming. It's obvious that their purpose isn't to get rid of Bloom. There's something else. It's like they're testing her. The three of them then started targeting Kiko, sending him falling down a bottomless pit! They're trying to provoke her! I'm sure of it. I then sense a surge of power, similar to the one back in Magix coming from Bloom. The Dragon Flame. Bloom was then engulfed and surrounded by flames. The flames grew and disintegrated the witches. The system then started spawning a lot of copies of Kiko. It seems to be malfunctioning, but at least Bloom was able to find the real Kiko unharmed. Professor Palladium was finally able to shut that thing down. Everyone then rushes in the simulation room to check up on Bloom. I'm glad she's fine, but I can't help worrying about what just happened. I should definitely talk to headmistress Faragonda about that.

Professor Palladium announces that the test will be postponed to tomorrow, to have enough time to fix up the computer after what happened. Everyone cheers for Bloom, but I can't help but frown. Not because it's postponed, but because of the unease I'm feeling. While they're all busy cheering for Bloom, I slip outside the classroom, heading straight for Faragonda's office.

I knock on her door.

"Come in."

As I step inside her office, I see her sitting at her desk with a serious face.

"Oh, Onyx. What can I do for you?"

She smiles at me, but I can still see that she's preoccupied by something.

"Headmistress, I have some things that are concerning me."

"I'm listening."

She motions to the chair across her desk. I take a seat.

"About today's test in the simulation room, something very strange happened."

Faragonda nods.

"Yes, I've witnessed everything from here."

"That makes things easier. I just found it really odd that the three witches would just plant virtual images of themselves into the simulation without any ulterior motive. I doubt it's something as superficial as tormenting Bloom."

"Oh? What is your opinion on that?"

"Well... I'm pretty sure that Bloom is in possession of the Dragon Flame."

"The Dragon Flame?!"

It seems like Headmistress Faragonda didn't know about that part.

"Yes, this is the second time I've sensed that power from her. Of course, she has no idea that she possesses it. That's why, my theory is that the witches sensed it the first time, and wanted concrete proof of that."

Faragonda nods, her eyes wide open.

"It did seem like they were doing everything to provoke her. I think you might be right on that one. I just have one favour to ask you."

"Yes?"

"Don't tell Bloom or anyone about this. Not yet, at least. If it is true that the witches are targeting the Dragon Flame, then we should keep it undercover until Bloom becomes strong enough to hold her own against them."

"Yeah, I think that would be best as well."

Faragonda then smiles at me.

"Thank you, Onyx. You really are exceptional to have figured something like that out."

I smile at her compliment. It makes me happy to hear that I'm being useful with my powers. I leave Faragonda's office and start heading towards my next class. This time it'll be a history exam.

"Onyx! Wait!"

I turn around and find Professor Palladium calling out to me. I don't have time for this...

"What is it?"

"I want to know why you were so agitated about what happened today, even though I told you that Bloom couldn't be harmed."

"That's none of your concern."

"It is, since I was the one controlling the computer."

"Well, you should've controlled it better. Now, if you'll excuse me, I don't want to be late for my next test."

I have nothing to say to him. The fact that he didn't trust me on this and closed the computer might now put Bloom in even more danger. I'm done with him. He's just another professor. I have much bigger things to worry about right now.