A Fool's Game: Chapter Four

Start from the beginning

As I glanced up from my hands that were lying helplessly in my lap, I noticed Sawyer, once again, staring at me through those capturing grey eyes. "How do you suggest we do that?" I was surprised; he wasn't being an ass hole. He sounded somewhat lost and confused and I knew exactly how he felt. This plan hadn't been planned out like it should have been, I had no clue how she would have responded to some of the things he was saying.

After a moment, I shrugged. By the way he looks, he probably has more experience in the dating field than I probably would ever have. "Why don't we treat it like a regular relationship like normal people and get to know each other first." I suggested, hoping that he would agree because it was the only idea I had. "One step at a time."

Silently, Sawyer nodded and looked at me for a long moment. "You seem...Different from what everyone said." He murmured, as he looked away from me once again.

I was suddenly starting to feel my nerves calm down and it was obvious that he was trying to make conversation with me rather than staying silent and making everything awkward. And I was thankful for that. "So, you've been checking up on me?" I unknowingly asked, smiling.

Sawyer chuckled and nodded his head, "What can I say? Just two weeks ago I found out that I would be marrying a woman I didn't know and I had to make sure she was sane and up to par." After the words fled from his mouth, he winked at me and grinned. I couldn't deny that it was cute; it was probably the cutest thing I had ever seen. His grin was so endearing that it was practically weakening.

My cheeks blushed and I wasn't exactly sure why. Maybe it was the way he smiled and laughed at the same time. And he managed to look completely breathtaking as he did it. "Well? What did you find out? Or...Do I even want to know?" I joked, knowing that he'd know I was joking. And, it was really mean because I was in fact making a joke out of Camilla.

He filled his glass up once again with the brandy and slightly smiled as he did. "You probably don't want to know."

Giggling like a young school girl, I shook my head. "Say no more then. So, what kind of charity ball are you taking me to?" I asked, totally surprised that I actually had the guts to have a real conversation with him. It was astonishing, not even twenty minutes ago, I felt completely out of place and nervous but now, I felt somewhat content with where I was. Maybe it was because his relaxing, laid back personality was somewhat rubbing off on me.

Sawyer rubbed his hands through his messy hair and smiled, "Every year The Alluvian holds a charity ball for the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and donates annually..." He looked at me for a short moment and before I could say anything, he began speaking again. "I know, I know. You probably think it sounds boring but I can promise we won't stay for long. I need to make an appearance and it sort of means a lot to me."

A smile took over my lips almost immediately, "It doesn't sound boring at all and we can stay for however long you'd like." I answered nicely. From what I had learned, Sawyer was amazingly good-looking, funny, and softhearted. My heart almost skipped a beat and noticed that as of right now he seemed almost perfect. It was too bad that he wasn't or wouldn't ever be mine for keeps. After the thought ran through my mind, I rolled my eyes and nonchalantly shook my head. Maybe that was my problem, even with Mason. I had always been so hell bent and determined to see the good in everyone that I totally looked over the bad. Maybe that's why I am in the situation I am in now. I mean, who was this guy? Really? I was sitting there silently calling him handsome, soft-hearted and perfect and I had no clue who he really was.

After I told him that I didn't mind staying as long as he'd like, he laughed out and shook his head. "I understand you are trying to make a good impression sweetheart but there is no need in over doing it. I've read enough research to know that Camilla Beaumont doesn't do charity balls. And, I am okay with that." He stated, keeping his relaxed position and swirling the brown liquid around in the glass. Almost immediately, I had to hide the frown that was covering my face but he was right. More than likely, Camilla had never been to a charity ball in her life. And it sucked because the real me, thought it was fascinating, the fact that he had so much going on in his life and still made the time to care about the children at St. Jude's.