Mackenzie Crew

All chapters in the point of view of Mackenzie will be written by the one and only @Ida_e_D2 Please read her other stories!

I roll over in my bed and when I open my tired eyes I find my boyfriend Devin staring back at me with his beautiful blue eyes.

 "Morning" He says and smiles at me.

 "Hi" I say and he pecks my lips. 

How is he so happy? Today's the reaping and I absolutely terrified. That's why Devin is in my room in the first place. Last night since he knows how terrified of the reaping I am offered to stay with me which I happily accepted. Even though my name is only in the reaping ball twice I'm still convinced that the unthinkable will happen and I'll be sent to the arena as District 8's female tribute for the thirty-seventh Hunger Games. 

 After being in my bed together for another thirty minutes Devin takes a deep breath and sits up."Baby we'd better get ready. The reaping starts at twelve" 

I take a deep breath and look at him with tears threatening to spill from my eyes. I hate the games so much. 

"Mackenzie...." He says pulling me into his embrace. "It's okay, really baby. You're not gonna get picked" 

"But what if I am?" I whisper into his chest "Or what if you are?" I can't bear the thought of myself being a tribute much less the thought of losing my boyfriend to the games.

 "Baby your name's only there twice along with all of the others you're not gonna get picked" He says while rubbing my back. We sit like this until my tears stop and then we both get up. Devin kisses me goodbye and leaves for his house to get ready. I take a quick shower and then let my long brown hair air-dry in it's natural waves. I pick out a short, navy, strapless dress and a pair of flats. I put little diamond studs in my ears and slip on the sliver heart necklace that Devin gave me for our six month anniversary. I walk downstairs and my little sister Isabelle runs over to me.

 "Mack!" She cries while I pick her up. 

"Hi baby!" I say smiling and trying to be brave for her.

Isabelle is so lucky she's four and doesn't have to worry about the reaping... I say good morning my grandmother who takes care of us now that our mom left and our dad died and sit down to eat a granola bar and a banana. It's 11:37 so Devin should be here to walk with me to the reaping any minute. I hug Isabelle goodbye just as there's a knock at the door. I open it and Devin is standing there. I run into his arms and just totally break down.

"I can't do this!" I sob.

 He gently shuts the door and sits on the porch stairs with me on his lap. "Shh" He says comfortingly holding me close. "It's okay. You're two in a million. Shh"

Once I calm down he lets me go we start walking towards the town square for the reaping. I know I'm being such a baby about this but I just can't help it! I hate it so much! When we reach the square he pulls me aside and kisses me until the crowd breaks us apart. 

"See you later baby. Maybe we can go somewhere together later okay?" 

"Okay. Love you"

 "Love you too" We go over to the table where they take a spot of blood from my finger, press in onto a piece of paper, and I walk over to the group of thirteen year-olds. As the last of the crowd trickles in I glance over at the boy's section and catch Devin's eye. He smiles at me and taps his wrist where a watch would be reminding me it'll be over soon. 

 When the clock hits 12 o'clock they play the same video about the history of Panem that we see every year. The District 8's escort, an older women named Knoxy, comes out fresh from the Capitol with her ridiculous clothes and bright wig. 

"Welcome District 8 to the reaping for the 37th annual Hunger Games! And as always may the odds be ever in your favor!"

Everyone knows she expects us to be all excited about this but we're not. 

"Well!" She continues "Time for the girls!" Her tall heels click as she walks over to the huge glass ball that holds all of the girl's names. Only two I think to myself. Only two. Her long manicured fingers reach into the ball and curl around a slip of paper. She clicks back to the microphone and unfolds the slip and reads the name in a clear voice.

"Mackenzie Crew!"

No. no no no no. Not me! No! I was two in a million! Somehow my feet slowly drag themselves onstage. On the way up I catch Devin's eye. A single tear rolls down his cheek and he doesn't hesitate to let it fall. Oh why me! Isabelle needs me! Mom and dad are gone and when Grandma is gone she'll have no one... And Devin! How can I leave Devin!

"Hello dear!" Knoxy practically screams in my face once I'm onstage. 

"Hi" I mutter and look at the ground. In the Capitol being a tribute is supposed to be a huge honor but in the districts it's pretty much like someone telling you you're about to die. So when I dismiss Knoxy like that she gets pretty annoyed.

"Let's have the boys now!" She repeats the same process of choosing a boys name and bringing it back to the microphone. "Jos.."

Before she can even get the name out or her mouth someone calls out. 

"I volunteer!" At first I think it's Devin but it's not. It's a tall boy with black hair and green eyes. He mounts the stage with a smirk and introduces himself to Knoxy as River Ahuero. I think I might have seen him around school but I haven't really paid much attention to him before. 

"Congratulations River and Mackenzie! This years tributes for the 37th Hunger Games! Shake hands you two!" 

I grasp River's hand and then quickly step backwards. Having someone else beside me brings a bit of comfort but It still feels like I'm cheating on Devin. Not that is matters. I'll be dead in a week but most likely sooner...