Sam flopped back on his new bed and turned to watch Kias examine the sheets on his own bed. Everyone had left and they could finally relax, and Sam wanted nothing more than to take a nice long nap. There were still a couple more things they needed to get done, though.

Reluctantly, Sam pushed himself back up and turned to Kias. "We really need to get you some clothes of your own. You've been wearing my pyjamas all day."

#

Kias blinked down at the clothes he was wearing, the nicest clothes he'd ever worn. "Really?"

Sam nodded before going over to one of the still packed boxes and sorting through it. "The pants have a string on them so..." Sam shrugged. "They were the only pants I have that wouldn't have just fallen down to your ankles the moment you put them on. You're ridiculously skinny." Sam retrieved something thin and rectangular with a surface area about the size of a large book from one of the boxes. "I gave you the shirt you’re wearing because it matches."

Sam tossed the strange black slab onto Kias' bed and then went through one of the boxes, pulling out what looked like a long, thick yellow ribbon. "First," Sam said, "we need to measure you."

Kias was pleased to realise that, within that context, he recognised the purpose of the ribbon. It was a measuring tape. Nobody had ever cared enough about the fit of Kias' clothes to measure him, but he certainly knew what a measuring tape was. Understanding anything at all here was a good feeling.

Kias stood up and began to pull off his shirt, but Sam waved his hands to indicate for him to stop. “You can, uh, keep those on, I think. They’re thin enough not to affect the measurements much.”

With a shrug, Kias let his shirt fall back down. It didn’t make much sense at all, how uncomfortable Sam seemed. Kias must have violated some kind of cultural code of behaviour, but he had no idea what they might be.

Sam measured Kias thoroughly, his touch especially gentle when he measured around Kias’ stomach. Sam had changed Kias' bandage before they'd moved rooms and had been gentle then, too.

The skin the doctor had put over his wound had appeared to be even more firmly attached than it had been before. It had looked almost like it was becoming part of him. That was a disturbing thought, though, so Kias had pushed it away and focussed on being pleased the wound looked and smelled healthy and hurt a lot less than it had the day before.

Perhaps doctors here weren't so bad, even if the lady doctor had made him get naked and examined him in intimate places. He still wondered what she had found in her examination, and subsequently told Sam, that had made Sam get so angry. Was whatever she'd told him why Sam seemed disinterested in him physically? He assumed Sam had, at some point, had intentions towards him. There really wasn't any other reason for Sam to take him. Here, more than ever, the only way he could possibly be of use to anyone was for sex.

Kias parted his legs when Sam indicated, and Sam wrapped the tape measure around Kias' thigh before recording the measurement. Kias wanted Sam to be attracted to him. Sam was gentle with Kias and, Kias was beginning to learn, Sam was very kind and generous when he was in a good mood. And, well... Sam was attractive. Kias would never like the idea of being owned or taken against his will, but it would be a lot better if the person doing it was gentle and attractive.

Some of the other boys had come from places where they were kept as personal companions before they had grown too old to be pleasing, and it had sounded to Kias like a better life. Well, for the most part, anyway. With someone like Sam, Kias was sure it would be. He just had to convince Sam to want him again and be good enough that Sam would want to keep him for himself alone.