Chapter 20

"Okay, I think we've concluded that we only really have two options," Sam said as he stared down at the prison entrance. Kias' body was warm at his side. "Wait half a day and try and get some back up when they open the portals, or go in there and kill anyone who gets in our way."

"If we choose the former, I believe it's important to establish why," Diego said. He was on Sam's other side, though his body wasn't pressed flush to Sam's like Kias' was. "Is it because we believe that others could accomplish things in a preferable fashion, or is it because what needs to be done is something we would rather not do?"

"Well I—" Sam began, but promptly cut himself off when the door to the prison swung open. Nolan was the first to emerge, as tall and muscled as Sam remembered him, if a little less clothed than usual. Ever the bodyguard, Nolan cast suspicious eyes around before allowing anyone else out.

Having recovered more quickly from the surprise than Sam, Diego sat up and waved to get Nolan's attention. Sam was pretty sure he saw Nolan give Diego a half smile in the dim light before stepping aside to let the others through.

It wasn't until Seba stepped through the doorway and relief loosened the knots in Sam's gut that Sam realised how concerned he'd been about Seba's safety. Though he wouldn't admit it, before Sam had seen Seba with them the safe return of Tristan's team had sent a fresh spike of worry through him. If they had been safe but Seba had remained down there, Sam wouldn't have been able to justify a rescue operation to himself or anyone else.

Tristan's team, along with Seba, approached Sam, Diego and Kias as they climbed down from the roof.

"You taught him to speak global?" Tristan asked Sam with a voice full of amusement the second Sam's feet hit the ground. "He's pretty good, actually, considering how little time you've had to teach him. How many days have you been teaching him for?"

Sam thought about that. He'd met Seba on the first day they arrived, but he hadn't started teaching him until the next, so—

"Three," Seba said and all eyes immediately leapt to him. Sam's stare was no less surprised than any of the others. He had only taught Seba a few of those words, so Sam could only conclude that Seba's response had been more of a guess at what Tristan had been saying rather than the clear understanding his firm response had implied, but still. It was undeniably impressive.

"That is very sad," Diego murmured to Sam. Seba had already started to make his way back over to Sam's side by then and must have heard, because his expression suddenly turned worried and confused.

"So what happened?" Sam asked as Kias left his side to go and wrap a comforting arm around Seba.

"Walk with us," Tristan said as he tipped his head to indicate a direction down the road. "Okay, so first of all, they come to arrest us and I decided to let them because I figured hey, we've done nothing wrong, we can salvage the assignment if we just go along with it and get our names cleared. That didn't work out so well, though."

"Letting them disarm us and then lock us in a cell was phenomenally stupid," Nolan said flatly. Sam would always enjoy the sound of his smooth, deep voice. "Clearly some selective insubordination was in order. I am sorry that I failed in that."

Now that Sam was looking at Nolan more closely he noticed a large, dark stain on the cotton shorts Nolan was wearing, and then a moment later realised that the stain wasn't limited only to the shorts. It was dark and shone wet in the moonlight, and Sam was pretty sure he knew what it was. Blood. Well, that ruined the 'what happened to the guards' twist in the tale Tristan was telling them.

Tristan gave Nolan a broad fuck you grin. "Yup, all your fault. Anyway, so we were stuck in a cell and were really hoping you would get the signal or Diego would work something out on his own, because we had no way out. And then this kid just waltzes up," Tristan said and gestured to Seba, "says he's your friend — says it in Global, mind you — and picks the lock on the cell."