Chapter1

It was an ordinary morning I woke up at 5:00am and my mother was cooking bacon I yelled from my room Ma where did the eggs go she yelled back Benjamin they went to the bin they were off. I laughed then raced down stairs my father said Ben geuss what I said what pa he said then bloody Turks are giving out soldiers a hard time out at war. There was silence only noise was a magpie in the distance. Then Ma said Jeffery are you going to fight for our country her voice cracked. Pa looked at Ma and grabbed her hand and said Mary I'm doing what is right for this country. Ma had tears in her eyes, pa hugged her and said ok I'm heading out I'm going to show them mongrel Turks what they get when they mess with Aussies! Pa whispered in my ear now Ben you are the man of the house now take care of Ma and your brother and sisters for me please. I felt tears in my eyes yes i said I will in my head i said to my self I'm a man now I shouldn't cry. Soon as pa left Ma ran to her room I knocked on the door and said Ma can I go into town to do the shopping? Ma replied yes Benjamin but be quick please it sounded like she was crying. Then I Remember last nights chat at the dinner table Ma said you know Jeffery once your over there you either die there or you come home in pain. Pa laughed and said I prefer if I went over there so I can make Australia proud! I walked out the door and went to the store my crush was there a girl named Hannah. I hid behind a shelf but she spotted me and said hey Ben come here for a minute she had tears pouring down her face. I said what's wrong she held out a bit of paper I read the first sentence and it read Tomas reed has been found dead in the Gallipoli battle field. I dropped the piece of paper and said hannah my pa went to war today and I'm sorry about yours how is your Ma she looked up and said Ma is ok I geuss but your pa Is going to the battlefield!! I responded yes she hugged me and said Ben you must pray for him you only have one father. I said yeah I know I hugged her back we cried in each other's arms then she kissed my lips and said Ben I love you can you go to the ball with me tomorrow? I said yes Hannah i will and i love you too.
At the ball
Hannah danced with me we kissed then I took her home I was 16