t h i r t y - f i v e

They reached the cliff that Hermione talked about before, swinging their legs over the edge. The sun was high above the sky and bathing the entire scene in warmth. Picturesque, was all that Hermione could think of to describe what the Room had conjured up for them – the rippling waters glistened under the sunlight, their footprints embedded into the sand with the path they walked on, a cool breeze gusting through them, pleasantly alleviating the midday heat. And then Hermione's belly growled.

"Penny for your stomach's thoughts, Granger?" Malfoy smirked and she crossed her arms.

"The elves still hate me unfortunately so there's no chance of getting any of them to deliver food to us here." She huffed.

"The S.P.E.W thing?"

"Yes, the S.P.E.W thing."

"They should."

"Shut up."

"Just admit you were wrong."

"Shut up."

Her stomach groaned in protest again.

"I've got to get out of here. If we're lucky, the kitchens will still be open and they like you enough that they'll feed us the leftovers." She leaned back and swayed her legs back to the cliff where she got up. "You want to come with?"

Malfoy looked up at her. "To eat? With you?"

Instantly, her face burned up crimson as she felt the mortification of unabashedly assuming that he would accompany her. "If you don't want to, that's you know, totally fine, of course."

"Isn't that supposed to be my line?" He stood to his full height. "Since you're the one who's willingly choosing to be seen in public with a Death Eater."

"Hanging out with the lousiest Death Eater of them all, you mean? I've done worse." At Malfoy's blank look, she elaborated. "I've had the utmost displeasure of going on a date with McLaggen once. Emerged war hero or not, let's just say, never again." She shuddered as the memories of being treated to 'A Hundred Great Saves Made by Cormac McLaggen' non-stop for the entire night came back to her.

When he bent down to shake off the excess sand that got onto him, Hermione caught a bump on his chest held on by a thin silver string.

"A necklace?" She asked once he straightened his position.

"One of the many Malfoy heirlooms." They both started to walk back down to the beach. "Haven't worn it in a while."

Curious, she prodded. "So why wear it now?"

"It was my father who gave it to me, and it's the only thing I have that reminds me of him."

"Let everyone see him for the monster that he became, but don't let them take away the father that you grew up with. You shouldn't have to feel guilty about missing him, Draco."

Her eyes widened at the realization that she had called him by his first name for the first time. Ever. She was about to correct herself when he simply nodded as if it didn't bother him in the slightest, as if she didn't just cross another line between them.

"I'll keep that in mind, Hermione."

She was too stunned at what she heard that she didn't even see him already ankle-deep in the frothy water and only when he cupped his hands and splashed upwards towards Hermione's direction, soaking her shirt and pants with minimal effort, that she effectively snapped out of it.

"DRACO I-DON'T-KNOW-WHAT-YOUR-MIDDLE-NAME-IS MALFOY!"

-----------------------------

A/N:

For anyone who's biting off the nails of their fingers just waiting for them to kiss, I APOLOGIZE FOR THE EXTREMELY SLOW BURN THAT I AM DAMAGING YOU ALL WITH! That is all.

Jks, not yet! Dedicated to @Zxmbiepenguins for not only voting on the chapters of TMFM but also following me! As always, a massive thank you to everyone who's voted, commented and added this book to their lists and libraries. So much love for all of you! xx