Mommy Mito

A/N: Thanks for reviewing! Since I got a few requests to continue the story, I decided to make a bonus chapter. Let me know if you like the direction it's going and would like me to make this more of a series!

...

Return to Whale Island – Mommy Mito

...

Killua Zoldyck had never had a normal family. He wasn't even sure what normal was when talking about family dynamics. He knew that there was supposed to be love. He knew that there was support. He knew that family actually enjoyed being together outside of going on assassination assignments... Of course, normal families didn't assassinate anyone. So already, Killua had been at a distinct disadvantage when it came to normalcy. The only family bonding he was familiar with consisted of torture (with the excuse of making him stronger) or teaching him how to kill in the most effective ways.

But even though Killua lacked what would be considered the average family unit, that didn't mean that he didn't dream of having one. He didn't exactly know what he was wishing, what he was yearning for. He simply knew that he was missing out on something and that it wasn't fair.

The only examples of true families that he'd seen were ones that he'd seen on TV. Dads who would teach their sons to play sports- not where the vital points to strike were. Big brothers who would help their younger brothers with homework- not telling him whether or not an enemy was too strong to kill. Grandparents who would babysit their grandkids and bake cookies and tell stories- ...okay so grandpa was at least somewhat like that. But his stories consisted mainly of tales of his previous jobs, and Killua wasn't sure that the man even knew how to operate an oven. Though the thing that Killua found himself dreaming of most- more than a house in a neighborhood with a white picket fence, more than being able to go to school with kids his own age, more than family road trips and birthday parties and sleepovers- was a mother. An actual mother, who didn't see torture as a form of punishment and who didn't see killing as an admirable action. He dreamed of a mother who would tuck him in at night, pack him lunches, kiss him on the cheek, worry about his injuries. He wanted a mother who would hold him as he cried and would welcome him home and tell him that he did a good job. A mother who would be proud of him as a son, not as an assassin. He wanted all the cheesy stereotypes that he saw in movies- sweet, doting, gushing with so much happiness that it would make him sick.

Mito was not these things. Well, Killua had to admit, she was some of them. A decent amount of them, actually. In fact, it wasn't that she wasn't those things. It was that she was more than just what he wanted in a mother. She was all the nagging that his birth mother was, but with all the love that he so desired. With the tucking him in at night, came the annoyed yells for the boys to "be quiet and go to sleep." With the fretting over the slightest bruise, came the scolding to be more careful. With the praise for doing well on homework, there was also the accompanying words to try harder. And Killua realized that he was okay with the negatives, as long as they were filled with love. Not the ulterior motives that his birth mother had had.

Yes, for the first time in the fifteen years of Killua's life, the former assassin felt that he could finally let his guard down. He felt safe in the comfort of a family. He had Gon's great-grandmother, Abe, to satisfy the grandparent role- baking desserts and doting on him, pinching his cheeks (much to his embarrassment), telling him stories of when she was his age. He had Gon to satisfy the role of a brother, something he had finally learned to admit- they went on adventures, he taught him things that he had learned on the island growing up, he teased him and always kept him laughing. He had Mito to fill the mother role that he needed so badly in his life. And, of course, he had Alluka who had learned to be her own person while still filling the role of his sister, away from their toxic upbringing- she still followed him everywhere and tried to tag along on adventures, she helped the women in the kitchen and played with dolls (insistently trying to get the boys to play "house"), she even learned to better co-exist with and to control Nanika. For the two Zoldyck children on Whale Island, life was finally what they had always dreamed of.