Return to Whale Island (Hunter x Hunter Fanfiction)

Disclaimer: I do not have anything to do with the HxH franchise. I guarantee I wouldn't be a fanfiction junkie if I did.

A/N: I really don't know where I'm going with this fanfic beyond this. So let me know if you want anymore besides this one-shot.

....

Return to Whale Island

....

The white-haired former assassin stood hesitantly at the front door of a familiar house on Whale Island- Gon's house. By his side was his sister, looking anything but her childish self. She would occasionally steal fearful glances at her brother before quickly bringing her bright blue eyes back to the ground. The boy to her left was in no better shape- looking as if his heart had been ripped out, a devastated and lost look in those blue eyes of his. He finally gained whatever nerve he was lacking and brought a shaky fist to the door, knocking on the wood. It wasn't long before the door opened, revealing a bright-eyed, albeit confused, Mito. The woman tried to keep from frowning, her brow creasing with worry.

"Killua? What a surprise!" She looked over his shoulder on instinct, "Where's Gon? Did something happen?" She tried her best to keep the panic from her voice- the look on the boy's face not helping to ease her fears.

"He's... He's with Ging." Killua mumbled, looking to the side and he almost missed the relieved sigh escaping the woman's lips. Though the idea wasn't totally relieving to her. In truth, she'd hoped that he would have given up before he'd found his father. She wanted Gon to continue thinking of her as his parent. Not Ging who had so easily given him up. Then there were the children on her doorstep. Why was Killua here? And who was the girl with him?

"Why don't you come inside, Killua? You can introduce me to your friend and catch me up on what's happened." Mito barely caught the fear in Killua's eyes sharpen and she grew more concerned. The girl beside him just continued to look down, tense.

"N-No. That's okay. I can't stay." He looked at the girl next to him before returning his gaze to Mito, "This is my sister, Alluka. I'm supposed to be looking after her, but something..." He shifts a bit, pain flashing through his eyes, "Something happened. She's not safe with me anymore. Could you look after her?" Mito's eyes widened, looking between the two children.

"You want her to stay here?" Killua looked desperately at her.

"Please. I don't want to impose. I just thought that since Gon was with his dad, maybe you wouldn't mind having her here for a while... If you can't take care of her, then I'll find someone else. I just can't be the one watching over her anymore. She's not safe. Besides, she needs a mom, not me." He rambled, desperately trying to convince the woman in front of him to take care of his sister.

Mito looked torn. She considered Gon her son and having Killua stay with them for the period of time that he had was such an enjoyable experience. She loved having the house as lively as it was and having another child around for Gon to play with. And truth be told, she grew attached to the white-haired boy, despite not knowing much about him. He was a friend of Gon's and was, as such, family. So when he pleaded with her, she wanted to help him. But her motherly instincts also told her that it would be a bad idea to let him leave his sister here. What had caused them this much pain? What danger were they in? She couldn't in good conscious leave him alone.

"Alright," Killua snapped to attention, looking at Mito in surprise, "She can stay here. But on one condition."

"Anything." The boy spoke with such affirmation that Mito felt bad for getting his hopes up.

"You're going to stay here too." Killua opened his mouth to speak before Mito held up a hand, silencing him, "Just for a few days. Four days. That's all I ask. If you really are in danger, then you'll need to be well-rested before you leave. Get rested up, then you can go. Okay?" The former assassin hesitated. He didn't want to stay. It wouldn't be right. But the stern look in her eyes told him that he no longer had a choice.