2|

ZOLA'S POV

"Lala, bring yo black ass down here!" My mother yelled from what I assumed was the living room. I had headphones in and still, I heard her voice as clear as day.

I took them out and got out of bed "Coming ma'am." 

I hurried down the stairs to find her in the kitchen. She was cooking but stopped what she was doing once she saw me "Took you long enough" 

I apologized and stood quietly. I was waiting for her to speak up and tell me what she wanted but she just stared at me. "On second thought, maybe you shouldn't eat tonight. You pregnant?"

My eyes widened "Mama..." I gave her a look of disbelief and I got a look of disgust in return. 

"I know you still ain't selling this I'm a virgin bullshit" She laughed, going back to frying chicken. It hurt my feelings that she didn't believe me when I never go anywhere but school and home.

I don't even have the time for sex. I would've had to have an interest in someone before I could even think of sex, but I don't. So there you have it. 

"Either that or ya' just getting fat. Whatever it is, it don't look good on you" My mother said, shaking her head. When she looked up and saw me still standing there she chuckled 

"Oh yeah, now go to the store for me and you bet not forget a damn thing" She grabbed her purse off of the table and searched it for a while. 

"Here" handing me a twenty, she began telling me all the things she wanted as I listened closely. She hated when I forgot something and usually gave me some unnecessary punishment for doing so.

"Thats all?" I asked to be sure.

She gave a dumb look and waved me off "Yes, go on now. Cause if the store close thats yo' ass"

"Yes ma'am," I hurried out in my adidas slides, I didn't bother to go upstairs and get my shoes because then she'd say I was wasting time.  

"Yo zoey!" I heard a familiar voice call out as I walked with my head down. 

"You can't ignore me forever" He laughed, walking up behind me. I continued to walk, and he did too.

I turned around "Look justice, I'm not interested okay?"

Justice was a guy, not just any guy, But that guy. The one who was so persistent when it came to getting your number or making him your girl. We met a few weeks after I first moved into my house and he's been on it since.

It wasn't like he was ugly because he wasn't. Far from it actually, but me being me, looks didn't play a big role in whether or not I was interested. 

It just happens..

I gave him eye contact so that he knew I was serious. For some reason he believed I was playing hard to get and not actually uninterested. 

"It's cool, A lil chase ain't never bother me" He licked over his lips "Especially when its worth it"

I internally gave the strongest eye roll known to man.

Leaving him there, I continued my walk but with a faster pace. Stopping for him set me back a few minutes and I really didn't wanna miss the store.

I was relieved to see the blinking open sign. 

I jogged to the door before it shut behind the last person who had gone in. I got the list from my pocket and looked over all the things she wanted before going to look for them.