I sighed and draped my backpack over my shoulder just as the school bus pulled up. I ran out the door without a goodbye to my foster parents to see Jason already boarding the bus. Great, hopefully I'll make it to school without getting some thing or another thrown at me.

Once I got into the bus I looked around for some seats and none were open. Not giving up, I walked toward the back of the bus without any luck.

"Hey." I turned toward the voice. "Do you want a seat? I can scoot over." The voice was coming from a girl named Casey, the only person who ever tried to be friends with me. Funny thing, she's also my neighbor.

"Um, sure," I said sitting down awkwardly. I always pushed her away when she would try to talk to me. I didn't trust anyone. I tell myself how mean I am every time I do it, but I never stop. I don't want to take the risk of having all the drama and sadness that comes with having a friend.

"So," she started, "you ready for the test today?"

"Studied my head off for it. I hope I am." I answered curtly.

"Me too. I can't wait till its over."

"Ya..."

The rest of the way to school was spent in silence and I rushed out of my seat when we reached our destination. I had a feeling I'd bump into her again today anyways.

Lunch came pretty fast and the day was going by too well for my liking. I was very suspicious of every glance sent my way. I had a good feeling about the test and was sure I got an A.

In the cafeteria I chose my usual seat farthest away from everyone else. I was shocked to hear a familiar voice again.

"I think it's your turn to share a seat," Casey said. I looked up for a second then scooted my food over so she could have some room.

"Thanks!" she said plopping down on the bench. "So, do you feel you did good on the test?"

"Uh huh."

"I wish I was that confident. I'm pretty sure I failed it." She was calling me confident? The girl who doesn't talk with anyone? "What are they snickering about now?"

I looked up again to see what she was talking about. Sure enough, the popular table was filled with people hovering around a blonde Barbie chick. She was Jason's girlfriend. I never bothered to learn her name because she disgusted me that much. Jason's rumors about me went to her then to the whole school. Casey is the only one who told me she never believes them.

It's like she knew I was glaring at her because she turned around and walked toward me phone in hand, her five inch heels clanking annoyingly against the tile.

"If I were you, I'd get some bigger boobs. And maybe shop for bras at Victoria's Secret instead of the Thrift Shop." she sneered while holding up her phone. My face paled and the entire cafeteria started laughing. Jason had taken a picture of my bra and posted it online, sending it to everyone in the school.

"Says the plastic Barbie doll who's plastic surgeon installed airbags instead of fake boobs on their chest." Casey countered. Everyone gasped. I ran out of the cafeteria before everyone could see the tears spilling down my cheeks.

I made a beeline for the bathroom and locked myself in where I started sobbing quietly. I heard a knock.

"Hayden? It's me Casey. Come on you have to let me in. I brought your lunch, though I doubt you want to eat. You left it behind." I didn't answer. "Hayden, I want to be your friend. I promise I won't hurt you. You have to trust me." I still said nothing. My sobbing had stopped but my tears still flowed freely. Then I remembered something.

I picked up my bag, opened it, and started to dig around for something. Then I found it. I pulled out the bottle of pills I always kept in there just in case I got headaches. Only this time, they weren't for a headache. I opened it and let six fall into my hand. I wondered if they were enough.

Don't do this! A voice in my head said. I'm not just a voice, I'm real and I can hear your thoughts. It responded.

I really must be going crazy with grief or something.

I'm sorry it took me so long to come out but please, think about what you are doing!

"Hayden? Are you there? Can you hear me? Do not make break through this door!" I dropped four more pills into my palm just to make sure they'd work. They made the slightest bit of noise. "What's that? Hayden what are you up to?"

Sigh. "Goodbye cruel world," I mumbled just as the door banged open and I saw Casey standing there. I didn't have time to think how she was strong enough to bust the door open as I quickly shoved the pills in my mouth.

No don't! Stop!

"What the hell are you doing!" Casey screamed leaping behind me in a blur of motion and began trying to make me spit out the drugs. She eventually made me gag them all up and I looked up at her a bit dazed. Then it hit me. I was actually going to do it. I was about to commit suicide. I started crying again.

"I-I'm s-sorry!" I cried out throwing myself onto Casey and crying into her shirt. She immediately wrapped her arms around me and began coaxing me.

"Shh shh. It's all right. It's ok. I'm here. You can cry honey, you can cry. You had every reason to do it. But that doesn't mean you should. I'm glad I was here to stop it."

We got lucky. Never do this to us again do you hear me?! I ignored the voice in my head again.

"M-me t-t-too." I managed between sobs. "T-thank you..." Casey continued to calm me down and rock me back and forth like a mother would. A real mother. The feeling felt so foreign yet so nice and inviting to me. After another half hour I got up. "I think I'll go now," I said turning around and leaving without another word.