Chapter 2

I decided to go to the office and sign-out. There was no reason to go back to class. All we were doing was studying for finals. We had to make our own study guides. It wasn't something I couldn't do at home.

Scratch that. It wasn't something I couldn't do where I lived. That place isn't even close to a home. Not for me at least.

Some more thoughts went through my mind as I walked home in silence. I stopped when I heard some rustling coming from the trees to my right. We lived close to the forest.

I turned to see what made the sound when a puppy walked out that looked a lot like a wolf pup. He walked straight up to me and started whining at my feet. I bent down to pet him.

"Hey cutie. Are you lost too? I don't see a collar on you," I spoke softly as I rubbed his ears. "Tell you what. You can come home with me but you have to be quiet because I can't have pets okay?" He looked at me and whined again. "Let's go," I said picking him up.

***

I was at home alone and had fed my puppy who made himself comfortable on my bed. It was nice to have someone to talk to. I heard Tamara and Pete's car pull up with Jason in it and panicked.

"Puppy I need you to be real quiet." He cocked his head and I threw the covers over him just as Jason walked by my room. He popped his head in my room.

"Crybaby," he said and walked away.

"Jerk," I said back.

"What did you just call me?" he asked storming into my room.

"You heard me. Or maybe you didn't because you're an airhead."

"You- SLAP!" He smacked me across the face. I was stunned for a moment before I decided that I had enough with him. I made a fist and punched him in his sniffer with such a force that he flew back all the way outside my room and left a hole in the wall where his head met with it. "Freak!" he spat out before hobbling to his room.

I looked down at my hand in shock. It didn't even hurt. How the heck did I do that?! I was never the strong type! I quickly shut my door and pulled the covers off the puppy who was growling at my door.

"I know I hate him too and I've had enough of this. Which is why we're running away." I hastily packed the necessities in a bag and grabbed the rope I had hidden in my closet months ago in case I had to run away.

I opened the window and let the rope down. I grabbed my puppy and put him in my backpack with his head still out so he could breathe, then lowered myself down the rope. Once my feet hit the ground, I sprinted towards the woods.

For some reason I had always been drawn to the forest. I felt like it was a safe place for me. I wasn't scared of any animals.

I don't know for how long I walked. I just kept going and going until sheer exhaustion brought me to a stop. I placed my things down at the roots of a big tree that would give us shelter and I found a cozy spot to make a makeshift bed in the roots.

My puppy crawled out of my backpack and snuggled up next to me after I got a fire going. I was really tired and fell asleep almost instantly.

***

I woke up alone in the early morning. I had that dream again. My fire was out and my puppy was missing. I began to search for him.

"Puppy? Puppy! Come on where are you?"

I walked backwards and spin around only to bump into something, or should I say someone. I screamed when I saw that it was a guy, a very handsome guy, carrying firewood, which he dropped when I bumped into him, and clad in only boxers. I let out a scream and so did he.